Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Pup Tent Mod

US Pup Tent Mod

I got a friend of mine with a sewing machine to put some zips into the side section of one of the shelter halves that make up my US Army Pup tent. This way I can access by the side in it's regular set up or open the side right up and you end up with a kind of whelen type shelter.

I like it especially for canoe camping where weight isn't a major concern, although I have packed it several times and used sticks or tied to trees for a taught pitch. It works great close to a long fire and is a pretty cheap shelter.

[IMG][/IMG]

Reminiscent of the famous Bill Mason endorsed campfire tent,

Nice

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Looks great! Is this one of the canvas ones?
    The funny thing is that the Austrian Army pup shelter is actually cheaper over here . US military surplus kit has sky-rocketed in price over the past few years...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Looks great! Is this one of the canvas ones?
    The funny thing is that the Austrian Army pup shelter is actually cheaper over here . US military surplus kit has sky-rocketed in price over the past few years...
    That's right OAT it's the canvas one. I got this one for $30 Australian, which is cheap for down here where everything is usually twice the price of other countries, including, unfortunately all army surplus

[QUOTE=-Tim-;127710]Reminiscent of the famous Bill Mason endorsed campfire tent,

Nice

Thanks Tim,

It does look like that now and has the same lie in front of the fireness about it. It's getting a fairly smokey smell now which I love in the shed.

I LOVE that setup! It looks so spacious on the inside. Room for gear under there if it starts to come down in buckets...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	so much room for activities.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	13183

Thanks for posting!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

That looks superb. I know a few people that have done a similar mod to the Polish poncho sets by adding a centre section but this looks way better.
    Thank you for posting as it has now given me ideas.

Here is the same modded design with a stove jack added for colder temps.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 11.16.08 am.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	13255

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 11.16.29 am.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	13256

I still need to add one in on my DD tarp...either that or buy a Seek Outside Beyond Timberline UL laavu.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Nice mods to the Pup Tent, and thanks for the idea. I may have one for you in return. Have you ever considered a canvas groundsheet for the pup tent? I have been searching for one for about a year now, but with no luck. I read somewhere that the US Army Pup Tent had one during the Korean War era but discontinued them prior to the Vietnam War. So I decided to take the bull by the horns and come up with something myself. I chose the silicone treated polyester canvas, 15 oz. for the groundsheet and had a friend hem it up after I laid out the dimensions and cut it to the size I needed leaving extra for hemming. I ordered a 12 x 6 exact size tarp from Tarp Supply to do it. I installed the grommets in their proper locations to align up with the grommets on the base of the pup tent and eliminated the grommets that were not needed. I have ordered the same kind of snaps that is customarily used in the pup tent and plan on installed the snaps to that it will also snap in and pan around the sides of the groundsheet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150703_131545_895.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13366

I also made a tent stove out of a 50 caliber ammo can this last weekend. I am picking up a welders blanket to cover the groundsheet and the tent to allow me to use it in the tent without damaging the groundsheet or the tent.

Name:	IMG_20150704_211318_433.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13367

However, here is a pic of the side zippers installed on the tent while I used it last March on an outing with some friends at a local park.

Name:	IMG_20150321_144956_204.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	13368

However, the good news is the groundsheet, I am working with Tarp Supply and they are considering manufacturing the groundsheet as a regular item with just the grommets, the snap kit to create a snap in assembly is still a possible consideration. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my mods and thanks for sharing yours, awesome job and thanks again for the suggestions on the zippered sides.