Thread: Massive spoon with a massive axe video

Massive spoon with a massive axe video

Here's an intersting video that contains a section of wood carving 0:30 to 2:40 approx. The thing that has me is that right at the end he mentions using shellac to finish it. I used a shellac quite a bit way back in instrument making. I have no idea of the manufacturing process from the raw natural material, some sort of beetle excrement, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat/cook with a spoon finished with it.

Last edited by Magicdave; 02-04-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Embedded video properly

I paused at the end of the section to post the video. Watch the 20 or so seconds that follows and feel the anxiety that comes from watching his left thumb position while splitting logs.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 02-04-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo/grammer

I found and watched the full video. For anyone who doesn't know, Dick Proenneke spent 1 year in the wilderness making this film. Then decided to stay there for a total of 35 years. Only thinking it might have been getting a bit much at the age of 85.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 02-04-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: grammer

Ah yeah he was a hell of a craftsman. Have seen the full movie several times well worth watching
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and