Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting ready for his first knife.

A knife is a tool as gun is a tool its not the gun or knife that kills but the idiot using it.

That is great. My 3yo regularly helps with the chopping of veg, peeling etc. We would love to get him his own knife but have been putting off until he is a little older. It's good to hear others thoughts on the very young and first knives.

A knife is a tool. I'll repeat my question from earlier: What tool do you use very day of your life?
    So the kids need to learn it properly. Just wait with the harder tasks until they have the motoric skills. Meanwhile get them started using a butter knife
    as soon as they can hold it. Help them cut soft vegetables, and slice bread. Alway reminding them that the knife is sharp. If YOU cit yourself, show the kid the blood,
    and tell him or her why it happened.

And yes, constantly remind them that when the knife is not in use it goes in the sheath, and when they are small, that when we use the whitling knife we sit (and lead by example).
    And last, do not let the knife be a mystery, hidden away in some drawer. Guess what happens the day you forget to lock it...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

When I grew up, all the boys from about age 6 had a knife. We also had glass fiber bow with steel tipped arrows. But we had been told off on using them on each other...and if you did not remwber, some mate would remind you. Same with a knife. If you forgot yourself and started running, or even walking knife in hand, one of the lads would go "Hey, you are not supposed to run with a knife in your hand!". And the best thing...I heard that from one kid to another only yeesterday :-)

But of course we hurt ourselves on them...but most of us survived :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Interesting read Rune. To think there are children in other countries such as yours as well the world's indigenous, aboriginal, native peoples countries where children respect such survival tools & wisdom gained from such as our ancestors did, knowing full well the implications of the use & abuse of say a knife at an early age.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    When I grew up, all the boys from about age 6 had a knife. We also had glass fibre bow with steel tipped arrows. But we had been told off on using them on each other...and if you did not remember, some mate would remind you. Same with a knife. If you forgot yourself and started running, or even walking knife in hand, one of the lads would go "Hey, you are not supposed to run with a knife in your hand!". And the best thing...I heard that from one kid to another only yesterday :-)
    But of course we hurt ourselves on them...but most of us survived :-)

At the age of 7 I bought Little Boots a Swiss Army Knife as detailed here.

OH and others masquerading as grown up had various fits over my irresponsibilty.

Twelve months later amongst the birthday presents was a little Mora like yours (seen in pic here).

Fast Forward a couple of years and neither gift has proved an error and the munchkin constantly shames me with knife safety drills.

That looks like a good knife to learn with.
    My daughters first knife was a tiny SAK (sd?) which was a gift from a grandparent.
    I tried to teach her some basics but it was too small to learn with. iirc I let her use my opinel no.8 as it was big enough to hold properly and was safer as it locked. I think she was about 7 or 8 at the time.
    to answer the question, the tool I used most everyday is a sak climber, as its what I have with me at all times.

Excellent - both of ours have had Opinels from around the age of six and have proved to be entirely responsible with them. In fact, I'm the only member of the family to have needed to superglue their finger back on! It's not just the physical skill development, it also encourages a sense of responsibility and independence that seem rare qualities in their friends.

Im 52 had a knife on me constantly since the age of about 8..... A knife that is a tool. i use a knife as OP said, a hundred times a day.... i went from an Opinel to a locknife, through several fixed bladed to my two faves now 45 years later.....which are a Buck 277 Alpha hunter folder (demonically sharp from the box and feel right in the hand, good steel too) and a Mora survival.....NOW demonically sharp after being shown my slip stone n some attention.
    Little boots will grow up to be a well balanced handy person, im sure, who isnt scared of a knife. I hope he has as much fun with his blade, and eventually blades in the next 45 years as i have

Congrats on another important milestone in your son's life. I was given my first knife at age eight. Still remember being given it. Had a knife on me and used it every day since.