Thread: random thoughts of mine

random thoughts of mine

Do we have too many options in this age?
    Too many steel choices and handle options,grinds etc
    How much resource do we waste when any simple blade will do?
    I for one am sad to see xxxx knife marketed and pushed down our throats?
    We live in an age where surviving alone in the wild for ten days is a success.
    Isn't the whole point of survival breeding and making sure our respective tribes continue? And finding solutions to problems with what's around us?
    It was a sad day when the map of the world was completed,as with it died most of our dreams of exploration. Are we oversaturated with Internet knowledge that we lost the will to find things out for ourselves?
    I am seriously starting to believe most of out brain capacity is taken up with how to use gadgets,from kettles to tivo to iPhones.
    Some call it progress,I call it sad times,times where we destroy the earth because we believe it's our God given right to consume and pillage it. And all the time we tell ourselves we are no longer savages,savagery just changes form.

Written in hypocrisy on my Googleoid phone

I see Bushcraft as an activity that can educate you on what is important and really needed...I attended my first Bush Meet with lots of kit that I didn't use...the meet was more of a social gathering in comfort in the countryside where equipment and knowledge was shared. This first outing gave me a more realistic picture of what to take next time be it a solo or group occasion.

OP......I gotta admit from the age of 12 to about 18 an opinel was all i had......that knife was kept very sharp, did everything i asked of it, within reason.....and was lost while out Pheasant beating.......damn I nearly cried! I agree...we have a lot of choices...... and we are nearly all, as the Carp Fishers say 'Tackle Tarts'.......

I'll tell 'ya, we've become far too dependent on our devices that a sudden change would create a lot of problems and no doubt widespread panic. We are slaves to our electronics....we can't imagine life without them, no texting on the phone, no facebook (no internet for that matter), no light to see by, no telly, no GPS, no washing machine, no heat, no refrigerator, etc. An abrupt and sobering snap back to reality would be a rude awakening for the majority of people in "civilised" societies. And to be honest, I think we need that sudden change. We need to understand that while all this advanced tech is great, we shouldn't let it control our way of life. We forget how luxurious we are that we can communicate with people half way around the world instantaneously, that we can take out dinner from the ice box and heat it up on the electric stove, that we have running, clean water, plumbing and sewage, and a relatively stable food supply. How spoilt we've become over half a century that we don't give these luxuries a second thought; and yet how easy it is for all these wonderful things to vanish overnight, whether it be from a storm knocking out the electricity or an intense solar flare.
    I say we will be our own undoing...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

It's all about greed - it pervades the very corners of our soul - we are here to remind the mindless commuters crawling along in their metal coffins on their way to work in their city jobs that somewhere out there off their horizon are a handful of folks who are free and won't curl up and die the moment the lights go off..........