Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do YOU feel the cold since an injury?

Do YOU feel the cold since an injury?

a few years ago (3) i broke my pelvis into 3 pieces and my back at T7,T8 also left wrist which has plates n screws n junk in it......i never do anything by halves according to my Mum!
    Anyway...at 52 i know feel the cold summat rotten! I lived in Spain for ten years but used to camp in the mountains in winter at -9 in just a army arctic bag, and a mat with a tarp....I never wore a jacket even on the coldest days....long trousers, a t shirt and a long sleeve shirt always sufficed.

Has anyone else felt the cold more since an injury? or is it just me?

Nearly 6 years ago I had heart surgery to repair a leaky valve, they actually went in twice; once via DaVinci robotic surgery, and then 2 weeks later via an emergency thoracatomy (if I'm spelling that right...) meaning they split my breastbone in two and butterflied me to get in quickly because they thought my Aorta was going to burst or something.

Anyway, after that surgery, I feel the cold much more than before it. I had the operation in early May 2009, and in early fall that year, my uncle who is a different kind of surgeon was visiting and checking up on me and said, "I bet you feel the cold a lot more now than you did before the surgery." I said, "Yeah, I do!" He went on to explain why it was so, but another side effect of my surgery was a mini-stroke (TIA) combined with a massive migraine event which caused me to lose bits of memory including one entire day... So I have no idea why I feel the cold more, I just do. I should talk to my uncle.

Funny thing is, it's not that I MIND the cold, I just feel it more and dress for it. I enjoy the -40 days as much as the +40 days.

All the best,

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

I've been split open from just under the breastbone down to well bellow my navel 4 times to have pieces of my small intestine removed. I have practically been gutted like a fish. I wear a thin soft shell jacket, preferably with zippers uner the armpits so I can ventilate, with nothing but a t-shirt under trough most of the winter. And I am in Northern Norway.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

When I was 15 (27 years ago) I was holding a triangular pice of wood in one hand and chiseling towards that with the other. Stupid is a stupid does, I stabbed my hand and chipped the bone. For years after my thumb locked closed in winter. It doesn't do that any more.

2, maybe 3 years ago, I'm not sure. I broke my ankle real bad on the ice. I got a titanium plate (still have a picture of the staples after the operation but I'll spare you from that) and I definitely noticed that I felt the cold more. I am a very warm sleeper and have always handled cold temperatures better than most, but this made a big difference. Hopefully this also helps, but since then everything is back to normal.

I feel it in my wrist, ankles and knees after a few too many "offs" on my motorbike. My mum reckons turmeric capsules work to help this but they just repeat on me something rotten!!

I know I do ever since the car accident screwed up my hip I've become a human barometer for weather changes. And it really gives my jip when the weather turns cold.

Broke both wrists. First one near 30 yrs ago now most recent brake about 11 yrs now. Yep my hands get cold easy now.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

I did my acromioclavicular (more often referred to as the AC) joint back in '03. I'm quite lucky in that it's not effected by the cold, but if I have a good night's sleep and spend to much of it on my left hand side I know about in the morning. I suspect that's why I enjoy my hammock as I usually stay on my back all night.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Between the snapped anterior cruciate ligament and my shot rotator cuff. Thanks Rugby. Yeah I'm in agreement, the cold once into a joint injury will cause some problems.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

I think it's generally said that cold and damp weather affect old injury sites.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”