Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 New Designs

2 New Designs

Hi guys.

Just finished 2 new designs off. I'd be grateful for your opinions.

The top knife, is called the Humpback... this one is in 3mm 01, 4" blade, full flat ground, with African Blackwood handle. I did the grind on this, completely freehand, no jigs or guides., never done that before... Pretty much nailed it first time i think

The second is called the Crow... again, 3mm 01, with Olive scales..4" blade. i probably should have done this first one in Blackwood too, given its name

Just finished a Kestrel too (Eagle necker) in 3mm 01 and Walnut.

Hope you guys like them.... give us your opinions

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I know nothing tech wise about blades but I like what I see, especially the last pic, great looking work.

That Blackwood is stunning! Given I like Scandi ground blades due to their effectiveness at wood carving, the bottom two are especially appealing. I really like the Crow and could see that being all the knife anyone would ever need (sharp and pointy s'always good ) but the wee Kestrel is a beauty too. I could quite happily sit and carve all day with that wee chap as my only blade because it's stout enough to make fairly sweeping carving strokes yet fine enough for close control.

On the other hand, they are all absolutely terrible so if you send them to me I will kindly dispose of them for you.......

P.S. your photos are outstanding as well.

P.P.S. given its name, the Crow would look great with black bog oak scales.
    Last edited by Nativewood; 24-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    "There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
    That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream." - William Shakespeare

Their lovely really like the little one.

Those look awesome! Really like the African Blackwood double-tone colours
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Agree with the other comments here really excellent knives, you should be very proud of your efforts. All look great but as has been said the Humpback with the African Blackwood is truly a thing of beauty. I am sure they are all very practical too.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Nativewood View Post
    That Blackwood is stunning! Given I like Scandi ground blades due to their effectiveness at wood carving, the bottom two are especially appealing. I really like the Crow and could see that being all the knife anyone would ever need (sharp and pointy s'always good ) but the wee Kestrel is a beauty too. I could quite happily sit and carve all day with that wee chap as my only blade because it's stout enough to make fairly sweeping carving strokes yet fine enough for close control.

On the other hand, they are all absolutely terrible so if you send them to me I will kindly dispose of them for you.......

P.S. your photos are outstanding as well.

P.P.S. given its name, the Crow would look great with black bog oak scales.
    Cheers mate . Yeah, the Crow and Kestrel are both designed to be good with wood, the handles are shaped to be comfortable in all the main grips... its taken a while to develop that handle style on the Crow (and the Eagle). I agree, that the Crow should have had darker scales on.. but i'd not decided on a name for it until they were on, and it was a bit late to be changing it then

Quote Originally Posted by peterbermingham View Post
    Their lovely really like the little one.
    Thanks Peter

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Those look awesome! Really like the African Blackwood double-tone colours
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Silkhi View Post
    Agree with the other comments here really excellent knives, you should be very proud of your efforts. All look great but as has been said the Humpback with the African Blackwood is truly a thing of beauty. I am sure they are all very practical too.
    They are all designed as users, Cheers fella

Quote Originally Posted by HillBill View Post
    Cheers mate . I agree, that the Crow should have had darker scales on.. but i'd not decided on a name for it until they were on, and it was a bit late to be changing it then
    Not a criticism at all, Mark. I think you could put any hardwood on that blade and it would look great. Just because you named it after a crow doesn't mean it should be black. T'was just an idea and after all, I'm not a tree and hopefully don't look like one despite my username.... Oh and I'm pretty sure I ain't foxy either!

What was that old TV advert? "I wanna be a tree."
    "There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
    That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream." - William Shakespeare