Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time For Everything

First Time For Everything

I just bought a Trangia burner.
    Yeah, I know. Never owned one before. It almost feels like you can't call yourself a bushcrafter unless you've owned a Trangia.
    I have, of course, owned other meths burners before.
    So, anyway - a couple of questions.

Is that lid secure enough to transport the burner with meths in it? Has anyone done this before and had/not had leaks?

Also, what do people transport their Trangia in? Just as is? Maybe I'm a bit paranoid in case some meths leaks out, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with a decent Trangia transporter (keeping in mind that I have only the burner and not the full Swedish mess kit).
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Is it a real complete trangia set or just the burner?

On my Trangia sets, I used to keep the burner in the yellow plastic bag it came with. Says so in the instructions as the metal the burner is made from will rwct with the aluminium of the
    cooking pots. That added a little ekstra security if there was a leak. And also that the burner was inside the kit itself, so there was little chance of any leaking out into the rest of the pack.
    If you do not have the plastic bag, just use any old plastic bag, or better....a sturdy zip lock bag.

But I never had any fuel spill anyway. Just make sure the O- ring is intact. I can imagine that over time, contact with meths fuel will make the rubber brittle. So I would not walk around with this in my pocket with fuel in it...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I can't say whether they would leak, I don't chance it, I either let it burn out or snuff it out and re-bottle the leftover fuel once cold enough to lift.

Make sure the burner is cold when putting the lid back on....thermal expansion/contraction of brass can result in a loose lid that was Not loose when placed in rucksack....

Same as Rune on this. I have been using my Trangia burner for years now and carry it with fuel left from previous use. Only now has it started to leak after a weekend on Dartmoor where Saturday night was very cold. The seal has gone hard which is inevitable and will swap it for the spare I always carry before my next trip out.

Carry it in a bag mate, Sod's law! Even though I've never had a leak, the o ring will fail when you lest expect. I make sure students empty them out again after use just for peace of mind.

OK, thanks, chaps.

I just liked the idea that I could fill it up with fuel before I went out with enough for a brew up so I didn't have to take a fuel bottle with me.

I gave it a test burn today in a pocket stove. I always imagined they were much heavier than they really are.
    So another question. Quite rightly, some of you have suggested pouring unused fuel (yes, I know - when it's cooled!) back into the bottle. Yup, that makes sense. But how on earth do you get the fuel back in the little opening of the fuel bottle (I have one of the hip-flask sized Trangia meths bottles - that opening is small! But even using an old soft drinks bottle mouth is still relatively small, etc). I tried it. It's not as though the excess fuel in the burner pours out - you have to shake it out. So how do you get that back in the bottle? All I can think of is to take a funnel. And at that point it stops becoming a small and portable stove system - may as well just pour the excess fuel away for the trouble it's worth (and most of it will go on the floor anyway).

So how do you get the fuel out of the burner and back into the bottle in a controllable manner?
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I carry my burner in a small air tight (Tuppaware style) tub, if it leaks out the reservoir it ends up in the tub and gets tipped back into the burner.

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

That sounds like a mighty small meths bottle! Didn't think of the smaller container. You could carry a small metal hip flask funnel (see Amazon) but, agreed, it's a one trick pony to carry. When out and about, carry a spare O ring for the burner screw lid. If you wanted to get fanatical, you could only used measured doses for cool times but to be honest, that's too much effort for me!
    I've had the benefit of a vehicle and a 5 litre can to pour it back in before now with students!
    If you want to use a smaller bottle, as you are, don't decant back until back at home or vehicle?

You do a Test Burn to see how much Fuel is needed for a Brew...Before you fill it and Dolly Out along the Southern Coast....that chalk must be getting absorbed into southern grey matter....Do we need to start talking about Health and Safety Inspectors now ? Corgi Gas is awash with them...!!!