Thread: OK, So I am into knife making....

OK, So I am into knife making....

hello to all bushcrafters out there! i am having a knife made for me and i just realized that making a knife is not all that difficult! i am going to probably end up using a friends machines until i can cough out the big bucks for my own, and i have basically just been researching and making sketches of knives i would like to build. i will post them here soon and i thought i would share some concerns and other things going through my head....

-obviously i am not going to start forging and will use the stock removal method

- i would like to exclusively work with 01 to start out, using scrap metal to get the hang of knife making and working my way up from there and eventually experimenting with other metals

-i would also primarily be using wood scales and brown micarta as the green stuff is significantly more, the wood scales, or eventually other stuff like bone and antler being up to the customer

- how should i go about heat treating?

- how do i measure a scandi grind perfectly on a belt grinder (belt sander)?

-what should i charge? i was thinking about $100 with a kydex sheath and i dont know if i should do $120 or what.

-what should i fo for a belt grinder? i looked up making one, which is the most cost effective way of obtaining one, as i really dont have a lot of money to spend for a 2x72 girnder, but i dont know much about making one

- can a wood cutting bandsaw cut metal if i get a different blade?

-where does one get the cheapest micarta?

-what specific handle materials work best for you?

i guess that is it for questions for now, but i would absolutely LOVE for any knife makers to pitch in and give me some help!

well i cant post any of the pics due to my computer not complying. i dont know how else to post them as my phone and tablet merely post pictures with less resolution than 144p

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Ranger post an image as per your details & I'll have a look see if it can be enlarged without losing the quality
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    well i cant post any of the pics due to my computer not complying. i don't know how else to post them as my phone and tablet merely post pictures with less resolution than 144p

I'm sure our knife-makers will be around shortly to help .
    But in the meantime, you may want to chat with this person - https://www.youtube.com/user/CrashbladeKnives
    He lives in Florida .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    Ranger forwarded the images which I have reduced in size. Apologies for delay as I misunderstood Ranger's request
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150311_211836a.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13122

Name:	20150311_211851a.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	13123

Name:	20150311_214926a.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13124

well i cant post any of the pics due to my computer not complying. i don't know how else to post them as my phone and tablet merely post pictures with less resolution than 144p

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Ranger forwarded the images which I have reduced in size. Apologies for delay as I misunderstood Ranger's request
    Regards
    David

Name:	20150311_211836a.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13122

Name:	20150311_211851a.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	13123

Name:	20150311_214926a.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13124
    Hey they look great, and I have made some more that look more 'bushcrafty'. As a side note, is it ok to use others knife models and make them? Like with the woodlore knife, nobody can really improve its design and many have copied it, so I want to use other designs that are effective and aesthetically pleasing. Another thing I have run into is making a makers mark or logo. I don't know if I should use my initials NJN or somehow make something, I really am at a loss on that because I would like to use something simple like an animal like diving sparrow uses, but I don't know... But thanks to all who are helping me out! This really means a lot to me!

Make a few,then worry what to sell them for or makers mark.Theres a lot more involved,than meets the eye.
    Enjoy,but you will find that many of the knife maker have years of experience n are still learning.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Make a few,then worry what to sell them for or makers mark.Theres a lot more involved,than meets the eye.
    Enjoy,but you will find that many of the knife maker have years of experience n are still learning.
    Thanks, I agree totally and many knife makers still experiment with different designs and do different ways of making things etc. I am also kinda curious to see if any one would be interested in me making them one after I crank a couple out? Just a thought.....

One with Nature
    hello,
    The progress so far.. uploaded on behalf of Ranger.
    Regards
    David

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	13182

Thanks, I agree totally and many knife makers still experiment with different designs and do different ways of making things etc. I am also kinda curious to see if any one would be interested in me making them one after I crank a couple out? Just a thought.....