Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: French Knitting

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Aye there's variations on how to French Knit. I liked the idea of a cotton reel, as this was compact, gave a tighter weave, & may have multi usefulness in Bushcraft.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    We were teaching the kids at school how to do this last year, although we used our fingers rather than a cotton reel to make quite a large weave which was then plaited together with two other lengths to make a scarf

One with Nature
    hello,
    Sorry about double post reply on subject. I have to share these images of a French knitting mushroom & needle. Absolutely beautifully handcrafted from Cedar wood. Bushcraft friend sent the images over today.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knitting Mushroom.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	13103

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knitting Mushroom Needle.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	13104
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 15-03-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Beautiful images there David; I remember it being called corking as well. A large enough cork stopper with a hole drilled through. I think that's a cracking idea for another useful pastime by the fire - might have to invest time into that. Like you say, using paracord, twine or natural cordage as a yarn would be different and produce varying results.
    I vaguely remember making a mug coaster a long, long, long time ago using this method of knitting! I'm surprised it hasn't had a resurgence as well with that loom band craze taken so well!

One with Nature
    hello,
    I was thinking along similar lines Janso. Aye we used a cork stopper, wooden cotton reel too. Living in the sticks (countryside) at the time we did a school project on How We Used To Live *BBC did a programme on such in the 1970's. Anyway spun our own wool from local farms & picked loose wool off barbed wire fences where the sheep were either scratching themselves or brushed against, whilst camping/foraging & then bagged it, processed, & made our own cotton thread etc.. I recall some was used in natural wool knitting with needles too.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by janso View Post
    Beautiful images there David; I remember it being called corking as well. A large enough cork stopper with a hole drilled through. I think that's a cracking idea for another useful pastime by the fire - might have to invest time into that. Like you say, using paracord, twine or natural cordage as a yarn would be different and produce varying results. I vaguely remember making a mug coaster a long, long, long time ago using this method of knitting! I'm surprised it hasn't had a resurgence as well with that loom band craze taken so well!