Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Knitting

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

French Knitting

hello,
    I was picking up Sail Makers needles from my friend Nan's recently & spotted a French knitting reel or Dolly, i.e. a old wooden cotton reel with four panel pins knocked into one end. I recall these from Primary school & using such along with a project on spinning actual unprocessed wool collected direct from a sheep on a local farm. Quick instruction.. It's used by threading yarn through the hole of the cotton reel or Dolly, then in a figure eight around the prongs. The yarn is laid above one of the figure eight's loops & the loop is picked up by a needle & carried over the top of the prong. *The lucet (Dolly) is rotated one-half turn, carrying the yarn above the second loop & the process repeated. The yarn trailing down through the cotton reel centre hole is given a tug to draw the knitted braid down through it. I've seen these used with fine paracord/jute/hemp cord to make wearable items like bracelets, hat bands, & belts, item that can be unravelled in time of need to provide good quality cordage. Just a thought as an additional item to carry for Bushcraft purposes.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	13065

That pic brings back memories David. Remember doing the same at school when I was a kid.

I was telling my daughter about it a few months back and asked if she wanted a go. Not a chance !!

One with Nature
    hello,
    Chubbs Aye I was just thinking about plaiting cord etc.. watching 10,000BC on TV & the French knitting dolly cotton reel came to mind. I would have thought with the likes of friendship bracelets & loom bands the youngsters would have had some interest Just trying to find the elusive wooden cotton reels now.
    Regards
    David

Samuel Hearne
    I also remember them from when I was a child but cannot remember how it was done, I have seen the old wooden cotton reels in some charity shops if that's any help.

One with Nature
    hello,
    ian c I've kind of described how it's done in the thread but I'll try find a proper printable step by step guide for viewing. You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ua30xG4Q9o My friend has a number of dollies for French knitting. I was thinking along the lines of the original wooden cotton reels as these could have many uses other than French knitting making cordage. Thanks for the reply ian
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I also remember them from when I was a child but cannot remember how it was done, I have seen the old wooden cotton reels in some charity shops if that's any help.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Step by Step guide http://www.wikihow.com/French-Knit
    Regards
    David

I remember doing this over my fingers as a kid in absence of a dolly. iirc it worked fine but my skin got pretty raw after doing a whole ball of wool with it!

One with Nature
    hello,
    Aye there's many ways of doing such, I was thinking of the wooden cotton reel in your pocket or survival EDC kit something to do constructive by the fire or wile away the hours.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    I remember doing this over my fingers as a kid in absence of a dolly. iirc it worked fine but my skin got pretty raw after doing a whole ball of wool with it!

A large dowel / broom handle with a hole drilled through works, it's what we used as kids, a thing of beauty could be lathe or hand carved,

I'm glad the instructions were included in the post, my memory is appalling, Thanks for the post David
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

We were teaching the kids at school how to do this last year, although we used our fingers rather than a cotton reel to make quite a large weave which was then plaited together with two other lengths to make a scarf