Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beach costal bush crafting

beach costal bush crafting

I was wondering if anyone as transferred their bush craft skills to bush crafting on the coastline beach etc. Carving driftwood, collecting seaweeds, harvesting shell fish, making salt, sea fishing etc?.

Never done any of them but have thought about making my own salt. Only live about 6 miles from the north coast here in Cornwall so seawater won't be a problem, Will be collecting seaweed for the garden once there has been a good storm later on in the year.

Coastal 'crafting is one of my favourite destinations!
    The coast or heathland are my places of choice for bushcraft. I like the woods, but they are a poor third for me in preferred location. Yup, shellfish, shrimping, some foraging, and then a small fire from driftwood to cook it all up and do a bit of carving or just listen to the endless rhythms of the ocean.
    The coast is always my first, and preferred, choice!
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandparents looking for stranded fish in rock pools and gathering/cooking periwinkles. (I always refused to eat them...yuck! Hand me the cheese and pickles!) Historically & when times were hard my family used to make a meagre living out of that and digging up lugworms to sell for bait (vile looking things...I couldn't throw them in the bucket fast enough!)

I did pick up a fair bit of knowledge but should have really learned a lot more from my grandparents - they foraged for much of their food. I guess a lot of peoples' did.

I can still smell those bilberry pies now... Hmm will have to see if I am still as good at picking those as I was as a kid. Something to do later on in the year - I am still not so keen on the winkles or lugworms though!

I suspect that my draw to the seaside is a bit like your own - we spent forever there when younger.
    It was my father that led us there. He was a fisherman and we'd be off early to collect lugworms for bait, and get the occasional clam and razorfish if the tide was low enough, and samphire and sea kale and sea buckthorn. Then we'd spend the rest of the day playing along the pebble beaches whilst he fished.
    Fishing is not something I have taken up though, for no other reason than I don't like the taste of fish! Wish I did though because I am totally sold on the idea of going down the coast, catching some fish and cooking and eating there and then. But no, I just don't like fish. Every now and then I try it, to see if my tastes have changed but, alas, they haven't. If anything it's got worse - once I could just about be talked into tuna, but I can't stand that any more. So I've given up, regretfully, on ever liking fish. Although, oddly, I do like shellfish and such (and no! They are NOT the same taste!).
    Maybe that's it. I feel infinitely more confident and comfortable foraging along the coast. There's also the romance of the ocean seas as well.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I am on an island, and I like to shore fish. My wife some times takes some blue mussels home if the water is safe for that (they can be deadly if there is poison algae in the sea ate the time).
    Else there is not much we collect from the sea or shore, except for some wood for a camp fire now and then. I've tried my luck at crabbing, as my wife loves them. But not much luck.
    I like the forest and lakes more. :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I love the Coast, A Few years back I was an avid surfer and would go down south for a few weeks at a time surfing. Whilst my father was out in the kayak fishing.
    Can't beat fresh sea bass and mackerel cooked the same day it was caught!
    I would love to have chance to do something by the coast but its so far to travel for the weekend, and holidays off work are always in short supply
    « Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope. »
    Aristotle

I would, except Long Island Sound is HORRID. It's a paradise for the rich snobs who own 5 yachts, not much else for the rest of us. The waters are polluted from lead, there are just too many speed boaters (some of whom are quite rude and will intentionally swerve into you at speed to cause waves which inevitably rock your vessel precariously), and the license to fish salt waters costs a lot more than freshwater. Inland waters offer a lot more here.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 04-03-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Going way back to the 1980s when I lived in Plymouth, there was a small wooded V shaped valley just along the coast path from Jennycliff. From the path it looks like maybe 100 feet to the shore, but it`s deceptive as it takes about 20 minutes to walk down the valley to the edge of the cliff. I spent several weekends there, built two small huts and a bridge over a stream (which gives potable water (once boiled obviously), and collected driftwood for fire. As I`m a vege I didn`t try fishing or hunting, but did sample some seaweed and foraged in the woods. The place is so secluded it felt like I was the last person on earth, the only giveaway of population was spotting the boats going to and fro in Plymouth sound.

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    Going way back to the 1980s when I lived in Plymouth, there was a small wooded V shaped valley just along the coast path from Jennycliff. From the path it looks like maybe 100 feet to the shore, but it`s deceptive as it takes about 20 minutes to walk down the valley to the edge of the cliff. I spent several weekends there, built two small huts and a bridge over a stream (which gives potable water (once boiled obviously), and collected driftwood for fire. As I`m a vege I didn`t try fishing or hunting, but did sample some seaweed and foraged in the woods. The place is so secluded it felt like I was the last person on earth, the only giveaway of population was spotting the boats going to and fro in Plymouth sound.
    That sounds idyllic, I do love coastal bushcrafting.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”