Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survival hook advice

Remember your fish hooks will catch pheasants n the like if suitably baited.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Remember your fish hooks will catch pheasants n the like if suitably baited.
    Oh, nice. I won't forget it.

Samuel Hearne
    Just remember that to use a hook to catch a pheasant or any other bird is only to be used in a survival situation, I have used them to catch ducks and pheasants in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    Just remember that to use a hook to catch a pheasant or any other bird is only to be used in a survival situation, I have used them to catch ducks and pheasants in the past.
    If no hook thread berries on a piece of line,(spaced),anchor to tree.pheasant gobble up "string of beads"into crop and are anchored.
    Then there is the little "dunces cap" make a cone out of leaf.place bait in point of cone scatter berries,if your lucky bird gets cone stuck on head.n one is able to pick it up.
    Surprised no one going down the "Tickling Trout line????????"
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I used to 'Guddle' or tickle Trout when I was a lad. The burn (stream) near where I lived, the last time I visited was polluted, this run was from the river Almond. I remember the pipe that came out from the old pit (mine workings) we called that pond the 'Pipey' used a pond dipper net which came with a length of gardening cane or improvised a foot cut from a pair of nylon tights stretched out using a length of twisted copper wire fitted to the garden cane end to catch Minnows/Sticklebacks for fishing bait, or as a kid kept them for a while in a jam jar. Anyway as a kid 7 or 8 years old, I thought the small fish in the burn were Minnows/Sticklebacks until an old poacher I knew told me they were Rainbow Trout. He showed me how to 'Guddle' or tickle the Trout. Due to the small area & depth of the burn they were easily extracted. A stretch known as Damside still part of the run off from the Almond, all you had to do was place a garden spade in the burn, at the depth of the spade no deeper, this blocked the swim & Rainbow Trout were extracted by hand. The other methods of catching game mentioned within the thread using fishing line threaded with bread or berries Hansel & Gretel style, I was taught such in the Forces on Escape & Evasion training.
    Regards
    David

midas "Surprised no one going down the "Tickling Trout line????????"

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreward View Post
    Fishing Rods in the past were made of split bamboo cane that was then assembled in a hexagon fashion...It was a worthwhile skill to have and some I imagine still exist hidden in peoples lofts that belonged to their grandparents....
    I actually have and still fish some of those.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was in our local charity shop after a friend told me about some fishing reels on sale he spotted. I spotted some rods in a stand lo & behold some proper Hardy Fishing® cane rods price tag £7.50p. I had a chat with the charity shop boss, he didn't realise the value of these. They were in very good condition all they required was a dust down & they were as good as new. Suffice to say they were sold in no time with a new price tag.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    I actually have and still fish some of those.