Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival hook advice

Survival hook advice

I have, close to, zero fishing experience. I've been doing a bit of research into hooks and line, and as I thought might be the case, different hooks have different purposes.

I'm hoping to get some information relating to what would make the best overall, size/type, basic survival kit fishing hook. In my mind I have:

It has to hold the fish, it's not for sport.
    It has to catch any size fish, within reason, if this is possible?
    It should probably be fresh water orientated, due to where I go. But versatility would be great.

I'd love to hear reasons too, I have an overworking mind and anything worth research would be great.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    In my experience depends where your practicing your survival Bushcraft skills? River, Pond, course fishing IMO you have different types of hooks from Sea fishing, unless your fishing on a tidal estuary near the sea where both types or lures can be used (I won't complicate matters). Everyone to their own but I usually carry in my hobo fishing kit size 12 & 14 hooks & hooks to nylon which I've found satisfactory for both Trout & Salmon mainly Trout various sizes. In practice catch & release. Why not try making your own hooks from what's available? I've made fishing hooks from ring pulls off cans, safety pins, wood, thorns, sewing needles, & pieces of bone.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	13063

In practice catch & release.
    I think this is my biggest concern at the moment. I discovered that there was a difference (not sure what yet) between catch and release and catch and eat hooks. For where I go, it's definitely going to be rivers (flowing and still if that makes a difference) and lochs/lochens.

Is a single, compromised, hook for general purpose a reality?

Wow, David!!! I just took a second/closer look at your picture. That's some fine work there, especially the one on the left of the image.

Samuel Hearne
    Just remember that big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish, the smallest hook I carry in my kit is about size 18, I pre tie my hooks to nylon and the lowest breaking strain line I use is about 4lb.

Just remember that big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish
    Nice, I like that. And thanks for the info.

Ask a Course Fisherman...particularly Carp Fisherman about bait presentation, fish habits, natural food, etc and they will give you an encyclopedia of info on the subject. This will also give you an idea of the role the size of the hook plays in catching your quarry, thus, the whole range of different hook sizes for different fish. If you know the general type of fish found in the area you are you will be able to select accordingly. Hope this helps....Have Fun....

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    ian c quote, "big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish, the smallest hook I carry in my kit is about size 18, I pre tie my hooks to nylon and the lowest breaking strain line I use is about 4lb." Aye you can land some big fish on anything between 4lb & 8lb test line goes on how you play the fish. I had an assortment of hooks & down sized. I'm heading to see my friend over the weekend got a demo in Glasgow some celebs coming into the store, so hoping to replenish my hobo kit.
    Dreward quote, "If you know the general type of fish found in the area you are you will be able to select accordingly. Hope this helps...." where I practice Bushcraft/survival skills it's mainly wild Brown/Rainbow Trout & Salmon. I always return what I've caught testing the effectiveness of hand made lures or just hook & worm.
    The humble safety pin has many uses incl' fishing hooks I've cut, honed, & sharpened using only a lighter & a SAK or Leatherman from survival tin to fishing line in a short time or prepped before hand.
    Regards
    David

Ask a Course Fisherman...particularly Carp Fisherman about bait presentation, fish habits, natural food, etc and they will give you an encyclopedia of info on the subject.
    Thanks, On the back of this I decided it made sense to research a bit more than kit. I think I could make get into a bit of fishing. Does anyone know, if I had a permit for a river is it allowed to fish with a hobo kit rather than all that cumbersome rod and equipment?

In the UK for inland waters you need to use a rod - lot of info on Environment Agency website.

I don't do much fishing, but when I do I use one of these - please note they are not the same as other mini telescopic rods that are available over here. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php The design of the website is a bit out of the norm, but worth exploring. They are also very responsive to emails + very helpful. I've no affiliation etc, just a very satisfied customer.

As ever there is a wide range of opinions about how good/useless they are. I find them pretty good. The cheap copies are not good at all - have tried both and there is no comparison

Hope this is of some help
    Last edited by Peaks; 05-03-2015 at 01:40 PM.