Thread: So a new idea..... River cane tenkara?

So a new idea..... River cane tenkara?

So peoples, i had an idea the other day. I am a huge fly fisherman, have been for quite some time now. Anyways ive been hearing about this huge craze in the fly fishing community about tenkara. Well anyways for you whom dont know what it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40BOFYKR38 ) Anyways, so over here in the states we somtimes use cane poles. Cane dries pretty well and get fairly light in weight. Well i was thinking. How about a tenkara rod made from cane that could be broken down into manageable/packable size. Possibly male to female connections on certain nodes. It doesnt have to be telescopic like modern day tenkara rods, cause a case could be made really easily. So i think im going to try and make one. Shoot i could even like hollow out the first 2 nodes on the handle portion to store spare tackle. Maybe a super small v- groove string holder that could fit inside. Well anyways gimme some feedback to see if this would even be a worthwhile undertaking. I have a huge access to river cane and i use it for my arrowshafts. Wouldnt be notin to just cut some extra long pieces.
    "Crouch low and carry a bent stick"
    The only easy day was yesterday!!!
    WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! Now im a tramp!!! Im tired of this name callin!!!!

I fly fish myself, though I've only recently been introduced to tenkara. I don't think it would be as practical up here because most of our trout streams are just that...streams with lots of foliage on either side. Anything over 8 ft won't work, unless you like tangling in tree branches lol .
    Love to hear your findings .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin