Thread: Webbing for climbing harness?

Webbing for climbing harness?

Does anyone know anything about any specifications, sources, links etc. relating to webbing use to make climbing harnesses?

Ideally I'm looking for the strongest 25mm webbing.

Out of curiosity magicdave why are you going to try and make a climbing harness and not just buy one that is rated to take dynamic falls?

I would buy a proper climbing harness, they aint that expensive! How much do you value your life!?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Dave reading this are you intending to actually attempt making a climbing harness or are you just looking for a good quality 25mm webbing to construct something else? TISO outdoors comes to mind stores in Scotland they have experts in store who could advise you on climbing harnesses etc..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    Does anyone know anything about any specifications, sources, links etc. relating to webbing use to make climbing harnesses?
    Ideally I'm looking for the strongest 25mm webbing.

I do understand the concern, but I trained as an engineer and most of my current work is in product design. When you see any product on a shelf it has always been designed/created by someone. I am one of those someones.

What I am designing here as a no rush, fit it in here and there, project is kind of like a cross between a climbing harness and a rescue belt. It's for use with paracord. Personally I only do descents with paracord and only of around 20 - 30 feet maximum. Most of the time these descents are on terrain you could scramble down in dry weather, but in wet weather they become to slippy and paracord comes in very handy.

See what you are on about I think. Just a support type rig. 25mm will provide a good cheeze cutting type effect I would imagine on a dynamic fall. Good luck on your project fella. sounds interesting. Keep us posted on your progress. Inavation and imagination.

25mm will provide a good cheeze cutting type effect I would imagine on a dynamic fall
    Not entirely sure how your thinking, but this type of fall relates more to ascents. For descents it is possible to make an emergency seat/harness from the actual paracord without worry of cutting.