Thread: 1000D Cordura or 18oz Canvas???

1000D Cordura or 18oz Canvas???

I am making a pack, and I'm trying to decide whether to use cordura or canvas. I have done the research on heat, cut, tear, and abrasion resistance, and I also know the strength to weight ratios. Has anyone experimented with trying to make cordura look like waxed canvas? how well will cordura absorb and retain or contain the wax? I'm tempted to use cordura for the weight savings but I really like the look of waxed canvas. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate.
    Got both, use both, like both, but love canvas.
    As you know both have advantages. In the mountains or on hikes i go for cordura.For the woods, or in genaral i go canvas.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Ditto...... ATB Shug
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

I'm a sucker for natural materials despite the undoubted advantage that some modern man-made stuff has. Canvas for me.
    "There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
    That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream." - William Shakespeare

I prefer canvas as well, cordura may be stronger and a bit lighter, but canvas has a feel that modern synthetics can't match.

I have a pack made from 500d cordura, and it is very nice though.
    I prefer 500d to the more common 1000d, it is much more supple, and half the weight for nearly the same strength.

Cordura for me; canvas still seems to unfriendly with mildew, trapping moisture and weight. I might be wrong and it's just childhood memory of canvas tents!