Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to get clobbered

As we are protected from the worst wind by the hills, it's not so bad here. But now there is total white-out conditions. And the spruce trees on the hill top is taking a battering.
    Was just outside scraping the living room windows free of snow, and the 4 year old is quite impressed.

But for an old Svalbardian like me, this is just a minor irritation. We played outside in worse when I was a kid...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

hope you're OK, that's some proper weather!

Well, it's mostly over here now.
    As usual the hills sheltered us almost completely from the wind. We just had some snow blowing to white out conditions, and I was outside 3-4 times to
    scrape the snow off the living room windows. As for electricity, the lights have blinked a couple of times, thats it.

Elsewhere in town, cellars in town centre filled with sea water as half the town is on rock fillings in the sea. The roof of a green house blew off, and other minor damage.

In other parts of the district, a couple of barns, sheds and out houses blew away, roofs got ripped off a few houses. a garage topled over, trees and power lines are down, and all of Lofoten is without electric power.
    But I expect everything to be back to normal by sunday, Which is good because two more of these are lining up...

And as far as I know, nobody has been seriously hurt.

But just know SAR authorities say that 4 kids partcipating in a dog sled race in the south are "missing". But rescue athorities are in contact with them, the are in lee of the wind, are well equipped and are in survival bags with their dogs, so should be okay until the wind is okay to either self rescue or get assistance. (why the hell did they arrange a dog sled race in the middle of the storm of the decade)...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Ah, here it comes....3 people hurt in 2 separate incidents when butane stoves (probably of the camping type, as in Norway nobody uses gas for cooking or heating at home) exploded while cooking. I guess the advice is....learn how to use your kit BEFORE you need it.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Glad you and your family are safe and well
    Campfires are best shared with friends.