Thread: The Bushcraft Journal

The Bushcraft Journal

Just bought the first issue of the Bushcraft Journal and I was very impressed. It's a digital magazine with 96 pages, it's packed with lots of information and its presented beautifully but best of all there's not one advert in it. I'd recommend it, Has anyone else read it?

I haven't, but I know Danny R put a lot of work into it . No ads, eh? Time to order me a copy .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

There was a bit of a to do on Facebook with this first issue. An individual called 'Olly' really laid into the magazine and went into some detail concerning several aspects. Danny answered the issues listed on the BJ page. Olly then went on the GBBG and started a thread over the same stuff. Folk got a bit suspicious and several professional instructors took Olly to task and it turned out it was a fake account. Very odd and one for the conspiracy theorists I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    There was a bit of a to do on Facebook with this first issue. An individual called 'Olly' really laid into the magazine and went into some detail concerning several aspects. Danny answered the issues listed on the BJ page. Olly then went on the GBBG and started a thread over the same stuff. Folk got a bit suspicious and several professional instructors took Olly to task and it turned out it was a fake account. Very odd and one for the conspiracy theorists I think.
    Dang...was he trying to take credit for the info or something?

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

He's purchased either the first issue or a subscription and then proceeded to pull it apart...An excerpt from the now deleted thread...When you, and your contributors are hammering the fact that there is no advertising why there ARE there over 10 advertising pages (i.e.: page 8, 20, 27, 31, 40, 47, 48 and 74 which are adverts for your writers companies/ blogs, that is not including pages like 15, 26, 66, 88 which are half page ad’s for your writers).

He was commenting on the profile info about the writers, as opposed to companies flogging gear type ads. I have to say that as I have two magazine subscriptions and no Kindle etc I've reluctantly not purchased it but it sounds like most, if not all, the contributors did so for free and the company/ profile stuff is the payback. Pretty much every post I've read about TBJ has been positive, and the likes of Mssrs McNutt, O'Leary, Kirtley and Rhyder ain't gonna sign up if it wasn't credible.
    Last edited by Mang; 12-02-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    He's purchased either the first issue or a subscription and then proceeded to pull it apart...An excerpt from the now deleted thread...When you, and your contributors are hammering the fact that there is no advertising why there ARE there over 10 advertising pages (i.e.: page 8, 20, 27, 31, 40, 47, 48 and 74 which are adverts for your writers companies/ blogs, that is not including pages like 15, 26, 66, 88 which are half page ad’s for your writers).

He was commenting on the profile info about the writers, as opposed to companies flogging gear type ads. I have to say that as I have two magazine subscriptions and no Kindle etc I've reluctantly not purchased it but it sounds like most, if not all, the contributors did so for free and the company/ profile stuff is the payback. Pretty much every post I've read about TBJ has been positive, and the likes of Mssrs McNutt, O'Leary, Kirtley and Rhyder ain't gonna sign up if it wasn't credible.
    lol Oh good grief, so writers aren't supposed to give a background about themselves??
    What on Earth was he looking for? A magazine written by anonymous persons?

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin