Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pot hangers

I am also new to bushcraft, but have been hillwalking and camping on campsites for some years. I camped on the red squirrel campsite in glen cove last year. They allow campfires and I intend on returning there this year and using the setup in your link. I have already practiced carving the pot hanger. Most campsites seem to discourage open fires. My wife is happy to camp but not so sure about rough camping.
    I will be ordering one of these pot hangers when they come back in stock...

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/t...er-17215-p.asp

Looking forward to putting into practice all the reading I have been doing recently.
    Greg
    ]
    Last edited by greg.g; 09-02-2015 at 07:01 PM.

There's an old Boy Scout technique (and I'm reading this from my second edition Boy Scouts of America Handbook, 1967 ) of twisting a coat hanger and then bending it into a large hook for one end and a smaller hook at the other. The larger of the two hooks can be attached directly to a supporting log to suspend it, or you could bend it some more into a loop and then twist the end back on itself so you can just tie it to some cord .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    There's an old Boy Scout technique (and I'm reading this from my second edition Boy Scouts of America Handbook, 1967 ) of twisting a coat hanger and then bending it into a large hook for one end and a smaller hook at the other. The larger of the two hooks can be attached directly to a supporting log to suspend it, or you could bend it some more into a loop and then twist the end back on itself so you can just tie it to some cord .
    Gave this a go today.
    Works fine.

Cheers

I did the same as MCQ, i've adopted this system : cheap, light and efficient, thanks a lot
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Samuel Hearne
    You can use snare wire but it is thin most rabbit snares are made using a single strand of thin wire that is twisted into a 6 strand snare to make it stronger. another soft wire you could use for a pot holder is copper wire 1 strand is thicker than a 6 strand rabbit snare but you can get it from most building sites or electricians.

Thanks guys, I tried old electric guitar strings. The problem is that when they are shaped, particularly angled, they are pretty much set and act like springs.

It gave me an idea, that maybe one time I'll have a decent amount of time to research and find out if it would be feasible. Or maybe someone here already has the knowledge?

It's a metal wire that goes to a specific shape one it reaches a specific temperature. This could be made to fit a pot with the hanger in an upright position (at heat) then when cooled it would be easy enough to fold down for packaging. Maybe it's using sledge hammer to crack a nut, but I like that kind of thing.

Shape-memory alloys flip back and forth between two solid crystalline forms called Austenite and Martensite. At lower temperatures, they take the form of Martensite, which is relatively soft, plastic, and easy to shape; at a (very specific) higher temperature, they transform into Austenite, which is a harder material and much more difficult to deform. Let's say you have a shape-memory wire and you can bend it into new shapes relatively easily. Inside, it's Martensite and that's why it's easy to deform. No matter how you bend the wire, it stays in its new shape; much like any ordinary wire, it seems to be undergoing a very ordinary plastic deformation. But now for the magic part! Heat it up a little, above its transformation temperature, and it will change into Austenite, with the heat energy you supply rearranging the atoms inside and turning the wire back into its original shape. Now cool it down and it will revert back to Martensite, still in its original shape. If the material is above its transition temperature the whole time, you can deform it but it will spring back to shape as soon as you release the force you're applying.

Samuel Hearne
    The electric wire which is what put into houses is a 3 ply 2 of the wires are in their own cover then inside a outer casing which also contains the other wire, each wire is thick (strong) enough to hold a pot with about 3 kgs, it is also easy to bend into most shapes, if you need it stronger you can double it up and twist to strengthen it more.

For more years than I care to think about I have used the inner wire off a bicycle brake or gear cable, I have a loop on each end made by using an electrical connector (the screw type you use to join wires together ) It can be coiled up to a small size and is fairly light and you can make an S hook if you want to use a hook. You just wind it round the top of the tripod at any hight you want your pot, simples. You can also use this method to make a bail for your pot. Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.