Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot hangers

Pot hangers

There's an excellent idea, for metal pot hangers, in this video. I hope it's of use to someone as it is to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJufjZ6ezYo

Old timers here would save the hooks and crotches of virtually every tree would fell, because of the strength in the grain direction. They would used for anything from neck yokes for oxen to bucket hooks for holding gallons of milk or maple sap .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

That's quite interesting evolution when you think about it. Aboriginals made what they needed, when they needed, and started carrying certain items. Later, old timers, living in a more industrially evolved time, carried more and looked at multipurpose uses for everything and anything. Now the full ultralight philosophy looks at carrying as little as possible with multi purpose use being very valuable.

I'm trying to decide the balance that would suit me, which I'm sure (hope) will change over time as I learn more and change my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    That's quite interesting evolution when you think about it. Aboriginals made what they needed, when they needed, and started carrying certain items. Later, old timers, living in a more industrially evolved time, carried more and looked at multipurpose uses for everything and anything. Now the full ultralight philosophy looks at carrying as little as possible with multi purpose use being very valuable.

I'm trying to decide the balance that would suit me, which I'm sure (hope) will change over time as I learn more and change my needs.
    Ehhhh...with ultralighters it's more about seeing just how "low" you can go in terms of the number items you bring and the weight of those items.

I think "multi-purpose" is something we tend to associate with "traditional" Bushcraft, though really it comes down to what YOU can think of. For instance, some people are over-protective about their axes and only use them as cutting tools - others will view the axe as less an object of beauty and more of a functional tool...not only for chopping, but also hammering if the axe has a poll. To one man, a tarp may be simply a shelter to shield from the elements, and to another, it may be a pack cover, a means to collect rainwater, or in a worse-case scenario, a litter to carry a wounded person. And, of course, it helps greatly to be able to recognise the various uses of an item if things get tricky. A sighting compass can become a signal mirror to the person who sees this potential in the event of a crisis. Being able to improvise like this is indeed a valuable skill, though it should be noted that a particular item, if seen as multi-purpose, may not be ideal for those uses. Tarps aren't exactly built for carrying wounded people out for rescue, but in the event of an emergency, they can be used as such. The intended use of a standard bush hat is to keep your head from frying in the sun and keep the weather off (thus a means of regulating body temperature), though in a pinch, it can be used as a container to boil water with hot rocks (if the hat is waterproof, that is), or in a less urgent circumstance, as an improvised foraging container for collecting wild plants, berries, nuts, and so forth.
    It's all in the mind of the beholder .

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Ehhhh...with ultralighters it's more about seeing just how "low" you can go in terms of the number items you bring and the weight of those items.
    Almost; I've been an ultralight hillwalker for a good number of years. For me it's always been about covering distance. I did do a little fell running when I was younger but I've never been a rush, rush mountain marathon, or Munro bagger type.

What I'm doing out there is going to see places, explore and meet new people along the way. I spent some time carrying a broadcast quality video camera and tripod to suit, and that's what turned me ultralight. Not to carry less, but to offset the additional weight.

It's when this came to an end I found having nothing in particular to do made it all of less interest. So looking deeper at the ultralight philosophy I could see that knowledge could also lighten my load. At the moment I don't really see Bushcraft as the activity, just the same as I never seen ultralight as the activity. Just as the best way to exist while being out there.

It's not just the straight forward, seeing how little can be used to survive out there. There are different people with different needs/reasons. Multipurpose equipment is a massive part of ultralight too.

Its really starting, just starting, to set into my way of thinking how it can all cross together.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 05-02-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Typo's/Grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    Almost; I've been an ultralight hillwalker for a good number of years. For me it's always been about covering distance. I did do a little fell running when I was younger but I've never been a rush, rush mountain marathon, or Munro bagger type.

What I'm doing out there is going to see places, explore and meet new people along the way. I spent some time carrying a broadcast quality video camera and tripod to suit, and that's what turned me ultralight. Not to carry less, but to offset the additional weight.

It's when this came to an end I found having nothing in particular to do made it all of less interest. So looking deeper at the ultralight philosophy I could see that knowledge could also lighten my load. At the moment I don't really see Bushcraft as the activity, just the same as I never seen ultralight as the activity. Just as the best way to exist while being out there.

It's not just the straight forward, seeing how little can be used to survive out there. There are different people with different needs/reasons. Multipurpose equipment is a massive part of ultralight too.

Its really starting, just starting, to set into my way of thinking how it can all cross together.
    Good points, I guess it depends who you talk to. I know some ultralighters don't consider a base weight of over 4.5 kg/ 10 pounds "ultralight", and for others, they like to maximise their comfort for the lowest weight.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

I guess it depends who you talk to
    I think so too, ultralight all depends on the purpose, as does bushcraft. A Mountain Marathon runner has good reason to cut weight out by the gram and a Munro bagger needs to make space, along with weight, for their food.

On paper my bag is going to get heavier, not by that much, initially. But going by the purpose it's actually lighter for what I'm doing. Ratios and stuff I suppose.

I like the full theory of nothing thing, but at its roots it's all about contentment, kind of like Buddhism. I couldn't do that, well maybe for a short/fun experiment alongside more experienced people. I'm always too much intererested in too many things that regrettably (if that's the right word) always need stuff.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 05-02-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: grammer

I also meant to add; someone who's just into going ultralight for no other reason than they like the idea of it is also relevant. Exactly the same as anyone interested in bushcraft just because they enjoy it has every right to do so too.

I've been thinking. The metal rope might not so be easy to tie in knots, but maybe that light brass picture frame hanging stuff is? If so it could rule out the connectors.

Has anyone any knowledge of some string type material that can be tied easily and won't burn and break for this usage? What about that synthetic sinew stuff? I've never handled it before myself. I have a feeling it's not going to be any good.

Duh, thinking about picture wire. Snare wire!!! I really don't like the concept of a snare as it is very un-selective. I haven't yet touched the stuff.

Bit it does come in many survival kits, so lots of people must have it. It must tie well? I think I can assume it handles fire well too, maybe other than getting brittle.

Anyone?