Thread: Tinder Fungus Video

Tinder Fungus Video

I thought I'd share this video I just watched and enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8v4Roo8DE

Mike is one heck of a guy - he's honest, he doesn't promote gear to give more business to manufacturers, he's very thorough in his vids, and he certainly knows what he's talking about .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

He comes across exactly as you describe, It was late on when I watched it last night. And as much as I wanted to watch more i went to bed. I'll definitely be watching more of what he has on his channel, it looks like there's a lot to learn from him.

Thanks Dave - I enjoyed that

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Samuel Hearne
    Have just watched it and it was interesting thank you.

Glad you(s) enjoyed it, I did too.

Love how thorough he is in his vids. Like in this vid showing and explaining why one piece of amadou was better to catch a spark in. So few take things next level like that.

I spent a lot of years systematically trying variations from the too sparse descriptions in almost all books (this was pre internet and most of the books came from libraries ) until I could get the techniques to work reliably. Just think it's silly for everyone to reinvent the wheel. After all, these skills have been in use for thousands of years!!

Thanks for sharing the vid.

No problem, I got a lot from it and thought it well worth sharing. I've watched most of his video's. This was the first and remains my favourite.

Spotted some cramp balls while out walking today, so thought I would give them a try.
    The one I tried tended to break up a bit when I applied a bit of downward pressure with the fire steel but got round this by holding the striker still and pulling back on the fire steel. Managed to get it too catch a spark. First bit sorted. Found some dead dry grass to make a nest. After a few minutes blowing and smoke.... It burst into flame
    Got to admit I felt like a god! I had already sussed out using birch bark, but blowing cramp balls into flame felt very special.