Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polish Army Lavvu + Woodstove = Extremely cozy

Polish Army Lavvu + Woodstove = Extremely cozy

Hey folks,

Just came back from an epic snow laden weekend out in the german mountains in the Harz with about 30 german bushcrafters. Fun stuff.

I used my Polish Army Lavvu with my Ti-Goat stove and I can tell you - it was AWESOME.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10540869_10204860413664225_7977008453343739749_n.jpg 
Views:	3135 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	12929

Name:	10952406_10204860410464145_6589657981862165559_n.jpg 
Views:	5470 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	12930
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

Looks a nice and cosy set up with the stove any chance of a review?

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    Looks a nice and cosy set up with the stove any chance of a review?

Cheers
    Tim
    Hmmm....I did film a little bit. I think I could do one, yes. However, if I were buying a stove now I would wait for the Hill People Gear small Shepherd Stove.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

nice use of the arm hole for the flue!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Sue, I love your trip reports but that setup is an accident waiting to happen IMHO
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Sue, I love your trip reports but that setup is an accident waiting to happen IMHO
    As long as you keep a controlled burn (no wild bonfires in the stove) and keep a tent flap partially open to provide ventilation, there's really nothing to worry about...except waking up slightly chilly and having to re-stoke the fire.
    Hot tenting is very effective in that you don't necessarily need a super-duper arctic-rated sleeping bag, you can compromise and let the stove make up the difference in providing warmth. And because the area inside a partially enclosed shelter like this one is small, it doesn't take much to make a hot tent HOT.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Alone in the Wilderness

Polish Army Lavvu + Woodstove = Extremely cozy

Great pictures and good see one in action.

Yes, I'm really liking these P'lavvu's, I have just bought two and shall have a look at them when I get back from India in February.

I may attach a third half tent poncho to extend the width a little by two foot, and shall certainly put a 2 foot removable extension skirt on the bottom to extend the height.

I am quite interested in building a wood stove to fit inside and until I do I will just try to heat the tent with a hurricane lantern and cook on a small wood gas burner.

I'm looking forward to seeing my new P'lavvu's with my own eyes.
    Last edited by Boucaneer; 18-10-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    As long as you keep a controlled burn (no wild bonfires in the stove) and keep a tent flap partially open to provide ventilation, there's really nothing to worry about...except waking up slightly chilly and having to re-stoke the fire.
    Hot tenting is very effective in that you don't necessarily need a super-duper arctic-rated sleeping bag, you can compromise and let the stove make up the difference in providing warmth. And because the area inside a partially enclosed shelter like this one is small, it doesn't take much to make a hot tent HOT.
    That is true. But for comfy reasons I'd rather go with an arctic rated sleeping bag and no stove if I was sleeping alone, rather than waking up shivering trough the night because the heat has gone out.
    Maybe I was pampered in the army as when we where winter hot tenting, regulations said that each tent needed a fire watch, and with a squad of nine rotating between radio, on stag, fire sleep, that was no problem, the tent was always hot, with a red hot stove vibrating with heat in the tent, hehe.

But still won't trade that with a night in the hammock :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Boucaneer View Post
    Great pictures and good see one in action.

Yes, I'm really liking these P'lavvu's, I have just bought two and shall have a look at them when I get back from India in February.

I may attach a third half tent poncho to extend the width a little by two foot, and shall certainly put a 2 foot removable extension skirt on the bottom to extend the height.

I am quite interested in building a wood stove to fit inside and until I do I will just try to heat the tent with a hurricane lantern and cook on a small wood gas burner.

I'm looking forward to seeing my new P'lavvu's with my own eyes.
    Put these shelters in perspective and they are nothing more than a couple of ex army poncho's...not up to a lot in reality
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Put these shelters in perspective and they are nothing more than a couple of ex army poncho's...not up to a lot in reality
    You just insulted generations of Norwegian infantry soldiers who put their pride in how many nights they have in their "button tents" as we call these. I have spent nighst down to minus 30*C in them, in the mountains, heated with a single Optimus 111 stove...but okay, it was a whole squad in there, and with one tent sheath (poncho if you must) for every man. it gets to be quite a sizeable tent.

Here is a 7 sheath tent (sleeps seven squaddies with full kit, but I have to admit that if you are afraid of a little same sex intimacy, it's not for you, lol)

Name:	3661248_9c03c68551_b.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	13453
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum