Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Also looking for boots!

Also looking for boots!

Heyyo! I really need a new pair of boots for plinking around in the woods in Florida. So I need boots that are:
    -not too heavy
    -not insulated too much
    -waterproof
    -durable
    So these will be in a hot environment and originally I was going for high jack pyke hunters boots or bates military boots, but I am unsure now, but if it is a high boot and has ankle support without a lot of insulation then I will be happy. Also, it would be a plus to be sub $100 as most military surplus ones are 50 and below.

Ooooooh...that's a bit tricky. It is hard to find good high boots that are lightweight. With the military surplus ones, you may find that they tear up your tootsies. My uncle's Viet Nam issue boots rubbed his feet raw . Then again they might be quite comfortable. A lot depends on how old they are and from what country's military.
    The problem you will face with waterproof boots in a hot, humid environment is that your feet will sweat buckets and you can end up with a bad case of athlete's foot. That happened to me last summer, and my 3 season boots are mid-cut Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeeper's...and yes, they are waterproof.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Ooooooh...that's a bit tricky. It is hard to find good high boots that are lightweight. With the military surplus ones, you may find that they tear up your tootsies. My uncle's Viet Nam issue boots rubbed his feet raw . Then again they might be quite comfortable. A lot depends on how old they are and from what country's military.
    The problem you will face with waterproof boots in a hot, humid environment is that your feet will sweat buckets and you can end up with a bad case of athlete's foot. That happened to me last summer, and my 3 season boots are mid-cut Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeeper's...and yes, they are waterproof.
    Oh that's a bummer! So with military surplus I would want to wear much in the way of socks? Hmm, and should I revise waterproofness and start looking for boots with ventilated holes on the side, or just be careful with how much I walk?

Ehhh, even with socks they can really damage your feet. The newer ones (made by Danner) aren't nearly as bad as the old jungle boots, though of course they'll cost a lot. The major problem lots of our troops had with them was that because they were rubberised, sweat never evaporated, and the feet were always wet, leading to serious fungal infections and even gangrene at the worst.
    I do think something more breathable would be a bit better, though you can always purchase waterproof overboots (something like this) for water crossings, marshy areas, or summer downpours. You might also want to consider mid or low-cut boots, say, something like this or this. They won't be as heavy as high boots but still have good ankle support.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 29-01-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: links
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I got these off Fishtec last year at a discounted price and so far they have been really good and very light for a high boot.
    -->http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fis...ts/40/no/62356

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    I got these off Fishtec last year at a discounted price and so far they have been really good and very light for a high boot.
    -->http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fis...ts/40/no/62356
    Have your feet been good through summer? My main issue now is overheating of my feet as well as waterproof-ness.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    My feet get hot in summer too. It's a problem I have conquered by having a pair of hiking shoes for hot weather.
    When the weather was still very warm last year I was still comfortable in these new boots off Fishtec with wicking socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    My feet get hot in summer too. It's a problem I have conquered by having a pair of hiking shoes for hot weather.
    When the weather was still very warm last year I was still comfortable in these new boots off Fishtec with wicking socks.
    So is there a way to have high hot weather boots that are breathable? The other concern I have is with chiggers and ticks around my ankle

Had a pair of Bates m9 not a bad boot until they fell apart after about 6 months have a pair of Hanwag Tatra top GTX which i find good so far might be a bit hot on the foot over their

Samuel Hearne
    I used the hi tec magnums (hot weather issue) for a 6 month tour then they went into my locker till the next tour and they were brilliant they lasted both 6 month tours and I then wore them till they were worn out and could not be repaired but they were comfortable boots, the only down side was I had to buy another pair as they were no longer issued.