Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 BC Experiment

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    It's been of interest so far & some valid points made in reply. On water purification I would have thought there would have been some method of boiling water taught to them, although they did say something about a DVD & manual training beforehand? I could think of a few methods minus a set of billy cans etc.. keeping in line with the historic timeline of events. I agree with you "As entertainment it is ok but as an historical or archaeological experiment then it's a bit naff" delboy so hopefully once the Instructor goes, it's down to some proper Bushcraft. Say's he when they pull out a SAK or a Leatherman then start squabbling over a Gränsfors Bruk axe v flint head tools?
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    I did hear it but given the water was still and the amount of flies around, what condition is the water going to be in even after a few hours, bearing in mind that they have no vessels in which to boil it ? As entertainment it is ok but as an historical or archaelogical experiment then it`s a bit naff.

Samuel Hearne
    I would like to know what the survival DVD was so I don't bother with it! and what training did they get? who in their right mind would turn up wearing high heels knowing what they are there for.

Yesterday they had flints, today a hand axe magically appeared....and a vessel for boiling water. I get the feeling that this is just going to turn into a bunch of people getting very hungry and not much else.

Interesting piece written on the programme here http://www.therocksremain.org/2015/0...esolithic.html

One with Nature
    hello,
    As said I think there's some cuttings on the floor, outtakes that would explain more. I noted them washing the maggots off the Deer ribs that were festering in the drinking water pool see them coming down with the squats for starters I agree with what you say ian.
    Regards
    David

After last night`s episode I`m left wondering as to why the camp wasn`t placed closer to the lake ? It would stand to reason that people of the time would have placed their camp around food and water sources, so close enough to the lake for fishing, and close enough to the woods for foraging. Why expend energy walking long distances to either ?

Watched it this am recorded.Fell asleep last nite it was so boring!!
    Pathetic is the word I'd choose to describe it overal.
    As its programmed to record whole season ! I no doubt will watch each episode!
    But will not be sitting on the edge of my seat.in anticipation!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

One with Nature
    hello,
    Quote "After last night`s episode I`m left wondering as to why the camp wasn`t placed closer to the lake ? It would stand to reason that people of the time would have placed their camp around food and water sources, so close enough to the lake for fishing, and close enough to the woods for foraging. Why expend energy walking long distances to either ?" My thoughts exactly. I was thinking keeping with the experiment, why didn't they introduce a temporary group into the area nomads passing through, doing a trade, exchange of ideas etc.. suggesting to move camp to the lake, assist build a new camp & then leave them to it? At the lake I'm shouting "build a raft.. nets.. narrow them fish traps ends.." Is there a hint on screen as I've noted the camera panning towards the Bullrushes great source of food supplement, tinder, & from a fishing aspect usually cover/shelter for some fish. If it weren't for the Bushcraft element I'd switch off..
    Regards
    David

I agree, the bushcraft element is why I keep watching although there is precious little of that.
    Last night a few left, one leaver stated that she felt proud she had lasted 8 days....pitiful. They had to call the medics in and pump them all full of nutrients. The vege went down from suspected food poisoning, one bloke is just plain lazy but still there.
    I think the quote of the week from one participant about the lazy bloke was "out of a million sperm his was the one which got through. Darwin`s theory was wrong".
    Looks like it snows next week and they have to evacuate the camp for a while as it gets so cold.
    Car crash TV....

One with Nature
    hello,
    With the impending Ice Age I would have hoped they give each contestant the opportunity to continue or not? Maybe give those from the original auditions who were unfortunate not to make the series, invite a few to make up the numbers, introduce fresh meat. I'll agree with You midas "I no doubt will watch each episode! but will not be sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation!!" .
    Regards
    David