Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 BC Experiment

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar

10,000 BC Experiment

20 volunteers attempt to live in the equivalent of the stone age.
    Channel 5 Monday 2nd Feb' 10pm.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was looking at the trailers for this, it should be interesting.
    Regards
    David

Thanks for the head up!!
    Seem to remember a similar "experiment"some years ago???
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

One with Nature
    hello,
    You are correct midas. I just hope this reality experiment shows some Bushcraft & not just another excuse for some wannabe celebrities having a greet & moan at the expense of the TV licence fee
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Thanks for the head up!!
    Seem to remember a similar "experiment"some years ago???

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    You are correct midas. I just hope this reality experiment shows some Bushcraft & not just another excuse for some wannabe celebrities having a greet & moan at the expense of the TV licence fee
    Regards
    David
    I'll second that!!David.!lol.m
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Don't panic celebrities were never mentioned and I also remember the previous program along the same lines

One with Nature
    hello,
    I mean as in wannabe not actual celebs
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    Don't panic celebrities were never mentioned and I also remember the previous program along the same lines

I watched it but wasn`t sure what to make of it. Who turns up at this sort of thing wearing high heels for god sake, they obviously had a briefing beforehand.
    The selection process must`ve been pants, one 65 year old passes out from the heat within moments of arriving on site, and a 20 something gets homesick for his nan whilst digging the latrine.
    I`m also puzzled at the location, if I was mesolithic I wouldn`t set up camp near a manky pool of still water which would soon go stagnant, I`d pick somewhere near a good flowing river, or if near the coast an estuary.
    The health and safety aspect makes it all a bit of a mute exercise really, fly larvae in the furs, tough titty, our forebears had to deal with it.
    What`s with the boots and socks ?, at least give them sandals or something more in keeping.
    Picking larvae out of meat, our forebears would`ve cooked the lot and had worms. During the examinations of the Viking cesspits at York, it was found that they would have been riddled with the parasites, so 10,000years ago they would have been absolutely rancid.
    All I see this as is a themed survival exercise, they might as well have kitted them out in modern clothing and a pocket knife, it would get the same results.

You must of blinked when they said due to H&S rules they had to supply them with fresh water, so they made a pond which will be refilled with water from a container.
    I was wondering about the elderly lady and then problem solved.
    There was a sudden reality check on their faces when he dragged the deer out and basically said "there you go"

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    You must of blinked when they said due to H&S rules they had to supply them with fresh water, so they made a pond which will be refilled with water from a container.
    I did hear it but given the water was still and the amount of flies around, what condition is the water going to be in even after a few hours, bearing in mind that they have no vessels in which to boil it ?
    As entertainment it is ok but as an historical or archaelogical experiment then it`s a bit naff.