Thread: Return to the greenwood.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Return to the greenwood.

After my tent destroying trip to the Moors recently, it was nice to return to the silence and stillness of the woods. I've repaired my tent anyway now, so today was a free day to wander with my bow.

The Deer as always, stand like ghosts and watch silently as I make my way through the wood. I just managed to capture one about central in the photo.

Very mild weather. still and damp in the wood and once I'd dropped the bergan off and hung my poncho up to keep the light misty rain off, I went for a wander.

I've been keeping an eye on this Ash for a few years now. It's interesting how gradually and slowly it comes to the end of it's life. Once it had three trunks, now one has fallen and the next looks ready to fall at the next gale.

The King Alfred's Cakes and Fungi make the most of the dying tree.

The young Hornbeam growing close by suffered when the first trunk fell..

Possibly victim of the Buzzards which I often see circling above the woodland leaf canopy.

Close by, another Ash. It doesn't show in the photo but a thin black burn mark runs down the trunk to the root which is charred and blown apart. The base of the tree looks almost as if it's been hit by a round of HE.

How many times have I told you? ' Don't shoot at stumps with this bow....idiot!!'..
    A tempting target and I couldn't resist it, and then it took half an hour of tree surgery to get my arrow out..!!

It's a 60lb compound, old but powerful and drives the alluminium arrows deep, too deep sometimes!! I usually stick to paper targets with that bow..

Tea time..shooting that bow all morning is like a free weights session..Took this photo to show how well the little spirit burner works in the Swiss Volcano stove. Like a little furnace! It's great, dead simple and I'm not sure but there's not much difference in boil time between the Volcano and my little gas stove.

The framed bergan is ideal to use when carrying the bow. Quiver clips onto the frame and the bow limb fits behind the frame shelf and makes for a good secure carry position.

A good full days practice which I've no doubt my back, shoulder and arm muscles will remind me of later...

Trapper
    Nice photos, thanks for posting them.

Can't beat a nice trip out in the woods, made better with big boys toy's, thanks for sharing

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Always enjoy reading about your adventures

Samuel Hearne
    Nice pictures an good write up as always saxonaxe thank you for posting.

I have run out of superlatives for your chronicles John, suffice to say I always enjoy your little bimbles and photo's atb Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Nice pic's keep them coming