Thread: Elfin safety...

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Wink Elfin safety...

Asked at the BP petrol garage today for a can of lighter fuel...
    " Sorry can't sell cigarette lighter fuel "
    "Pardon! Why not?"
    "It's inflammable"
    " But we're 10 feet from tens of thousands of gallons of petrol, look, people are squirting it into their cars"
    " Health and safety won't allow it to be sold..We have disposable lighters or matches Sir, but not lighter fuel, as it's dangerous"

It's not H&S anymore its accountability and the fear of a claim made against "the company", as for law that's not the issue its the "companies" policy not to sell/do/allow "whatever" therefore the poor "jobsworth" in question who gets it in the neck is after all doing what he is being paid for. As would a Paramedic, if he did his job to the letter ie saving lives is he a "jobs worth?"

Sounds like a rant, but it isn't just trying to put my point across

Cheers
    Tim
    Last edited by jus_young; 21-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Talking of garages, the other day I went to fill up and the large sign outside the garage said 103.9p per litre. I stopped dispensing fuel at one litre to check and the pump said 105.0 I went into the kiosk and told them and they agreed it was not right. They checked what the per litre display was on the pump and it was 103.9p. At their suggestion I put another litre in and it was ok (back to 103.9p) but needless to say I won't be using them again. It's worth checking when you fill up.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Talking of garages, the other day I went to fill up and the large sign outside the garage said 103.9p per litre. I stopped dispensing fuel at one litre to check and the pump said 105.0 I went into the kiosk and told them and they agreed it was not right. They checked what the per litre display was on the pump and it was 103.9p. At their suggestion I put another litre in and it was ok (back to 103.9p) but needless to say I won't be using them again. It's worth checking when you fill up.

M@
    A lot of garages display a sign stating that the minimum amount dispensed should be two litres for this reason.

I had it the other way round ehecatl - it was £1.05 on the sign and £1.03 on the pump!

Sorry for double posting but it got me thinking - my local Shell station used to sell paraffin by the gallon but it disappeared a while back, wonder if this is why? It's getting harder to get hold of easily.

Some laws are stupid.My local gunshop,Holds a stock of 1.000's of cartridges.Has an explosives certificate n store.(full)
    also sell Thunderflashs n the like.
    But cannot sell fireworks.!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    Sorry for double posting but it got me thinking - my local Shell station used to sell paraffin by the gallon but it disappeared a while back, wonder if this is why? It's getting harder to get hold of easily.
    They stopped selling it because too many thrifty people were putting it in their tank by mistake

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Some laws are stupid.My local gunshop,Holds a stock of 1.000's of cartridges.Has an explosives certificate n store.(full)
    also sell Thunderflashs n the like.
    But cannot sell fireworks.!
    Have you seen some of the people who want to buy Fireworks? Probably not the sort that you want in a Gunshop
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/