Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you sleep in your base layers?

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I change into thin cheap thermals kept just for sleeping in, plus Dutch Army issue fleece sleeping socks and a wooly hat if it's really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    Usually naked (I sleep hot) but as the temperature gets lower the layers go on.
    I usually have to get out some time in the night to let nature have it's share. And doing that as I was created in minus 10 degrees does not quite agree with me, he he
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I've been carp fishing and therefore camping out at night for over 30 years and always sleep fully clothed....
    I have a good bag and pile/goretex blanket and have never been cold....or sweated for that matter.

These days my clothes are under armour or similar base layer, pile/pertex top, Craghopper winter trousers with British army gortex overtrousers...plus thinsulate beanie.

I have just got a Snugpak Sleeka which I put on when I get up.

cheers
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I usually have to get out some time in the night to let nature have it's share. And doing that as I was created in minus 10 degrees does not quite agree with me, he he
    Camping in sub-zero conditions I keep a Nalgene bottle for the purpose of pee-ing in, if i wake up in the night. (kneeling up in the sleeping bag and being very careful with my aim )
    The bottle is wrapped in hazard warning and zinc oxide tape so i can tell the difference between it, and my water bottle in the dark. It wouldn't do to mix the two up .........
    when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TreefrogGB View Post
    Camping in sub-zero conditions I keep a Nalgene bottle for the purpose of pee-ing in, if i wake up in the night. (kneeling up in the sleeping bag and being very careful with my aim )
    The bottle is wrapped in hazard warning and zinc oxide tape so i can tell the difference between it, and my water bottle in the dark. It wouldn't do to mix the two up .........
    I could never get used to sharing my hammock with a bottle of piss...anyway, it is often number 2 that drives me out. I have Chrons and having had my small intestine excised 4 times have left me with chronic diarrhea...well, normally can keep everything in until the morning. But once I start to move, I have to go!
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

There are some things once read, cannot be unread.....
    when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.

Would it help if I paraphrased Derrida's philosophical treatise 'De la grammatologie'? He points to the relative nature of meaning and suggests that the meaning of a text resides in the act of reading. If he's correct, if you read it again you should be able to relinquish your previous reading and create a whole new memory...... go on, give it a go!

Just be happy I never made a youtube video on it :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

I usually sleep in my boxers, a T shirt and socks. Have been known to kip in my hammock with my Softie gear on, Dutch surplus thermal socks and a hat if if gets too cold.

Usually I will strip to my base layers unless my camp tasks and ahem...wine have got the better of me that is!
    When life gets you down...Hammock!
    It's amazing how far away the world can feel when you're suspended just two foot off the ground!