Thread: Alder Nodules

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Lightbulb Alder Nodules

Toward the end of summer I was cooking on the campfire in my friends woodland (the wood is predominantly Alder in a low-lying valley bottom with rivers either side) when I disturbed the loose soil with my boots, I noticed what my mind could only describe as a truffle, now I've not actually found a truffle in the wilds before (I haven't tried looking for them particularly hard either).. but considering the absurd prices you hear people paying for them I couldn't help get a little bit excited! - Not for the monetary value really, just that it was something new.

I dissected and quickly determined it probably wasn't a Truffle but it was interesting and new to me; it was an Alder root nodule which is Nitrogen fixing and improves the fertility of the soil, you can read about and see them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder#Nitrogen_fixation

It was nice to learn that these two were a symbiotic relationship between the tree and something else, much like the truffle in the way if memory serves? (I think they are a symbiotic relationship between a fungi and the tree/root).

Turns out these root nodules were prolific beneath the woodland soil in this wood, so I learnt a few things and discovered that Alder improve your soil fertility
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

That's something else I didn't know. Makes you wonder how this self preservation process first started. Nature is just amazing.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Broad beans do the same thing, we always leave the broad bean roots in the ground for nitrogen, burn the stalks for potash and then rotivate the lot in.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Interesting..I've seen them before but never gave them much thought, just thinking they were fungi not necessarily connected with the Alder.

I love learning interesting things like this.
    Fascinating symbiotic relationship.
    Thanks for sharing, Ashley!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

What a find, Ash . Indeed, that's an interesting coexisting relationship, one I haven't heard about.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

These interactions are fascinating.
    The whole fabaceae family (peas, beans, clovers etc) have these same nodules. The bacteria get protection and carbohydrates from the plant, and the plant gets the nitrogen.
    If you want to get nerdy about it, 'mycorrhizal' relationships are worth looking into. Similar principals but with fungi and plants.