Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey Squirrels

Wanderer

Grey Squirrels

I heard recently that the government are about to make funding available to land owners willing to agree to controlling grey squirrels on their land and also to any of their neighbours who
    are willing to cooperate. As I understand it any method of control is to be permitted as long as it is legal and humane. Could this be a job for air gunners. Has anyone else heard anything
    about it.

i was under the impression that squirrels were fair game already... just not allowed to use arrows or bolts to hunt as that illegal in the uk and you have the land owners permission...

rats, squirrel and pigeon are any season hunting

Samuel Hearne
    It would be great if it happens.

Paid to hunt food ................. bring it.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDaddy187 View Post
    i was under the impression that squirrels were fair game already... just not allowed to use arrows or bolts to hunt as that illegal in the uk and you have the land owners permission...

rats, squirrel and pigeon are any season hunting

I think you will find that hunting with a BOW is illegal but the use of arrows is not.
    Also Muntjak deer have no close season if you are able to hunt on land which have them. (invasive species just like grey squirrels)

We used to get free cartridges for rabbit control.after the war.
    Dont forget Chinese water deer.too.
    There are some strange rule n regs.My Cross bow not only fires bolts but steel ball bearings.(legal for wild boar on estates on France.)
    Wonder if anyone has ever tested the "waters" with a "catapult" propeled arrow.with blunt heads.rather than Broadheads.????
    Squirrels were hunted for the pot n market,by hunters with foot long weighted headed, throwing sticks.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

squirrels are yummy, as are rabbits and pigeons! Unfortunately all three are a bit lean at the moment on my permissions but hopefully that will change soon enough

They are also few and far between round my area too, I have been out recently scouting new areas but the signs are limited
    And yes people do use "SLINGBOW's" and some also use two piece arrows for portability.
    Last edited by Valantine; 20-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Wanderer
    Squirrels have always been fair game but this is the first time that any funding has been made available to control them,i remember(just)free cartridges for rabbits but never anything for squirrels,as a boy
    I used to get one penny(old money) per tail for rats from local farmers which kept me in airgun pellets. Fortunately for me squirrels are plentiful on my patch although rabbits are a bit scarce. perhaps if
    funding is available it will become a bit easier for people to gain shooting permissions.As for pigeons there are rules under the "General license" for details go to www.basc.org.

The link above goes to a page called "buydomains.com" I hope this is not advertising
    The correct link is --> http://basc.org.uk/shooting/pest-and-predator-control/