Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grey Squirrels

On reflection and much thought this isnt new!!
    In the 1950's we got 6d(2.5p)rising I think to 1/-(5p)for each grey squirrel tail handed in to The Ministry of AG n FISH.
    We had some long poles for poking out the dreys.
    On doing some googleing,there was also a bounty offered (£1 per tail) by a Welsh Wildlife Trust in 1999.which i believe did not meet public approval so frighteng off the Trust.etc.

PS.Scheme was introdused in 1932,and abandoned in 1957,because it was abused.
    Last edited by midas; 20-01-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: updae Post Script
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Shame there isn't a concerted eradication programme for Mink...
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Shame there isn't a concerted eradication programme for Mink...
    Possibly due to fur coats n wraps,not been "PC" anymore??There is less incentive??
    I wouldnt mind running a trapline..if we had them in my area.

Fancy a mink douve cover.lol...........

Wanderer
    I was not advertising I have never heard of buydomains.com. The link was correct and should have taken you to the home page of British association for shooting and conservation the UKs biggest and leading shooting
    organisation of which ALL shooters should be members. As well as the excellent insurance cover which in my experience carries a lot of weight with farmers and land owners when requesting permission to
    shoot, there are many other benefits which come with membership including having a voice in westminster to protect your right to shoot by challenging unfair legislation. In my opinion any shooter who does
    not or will not join basc or one of the smaller associated organisations does not deserve to shoot. (This is not advertising either its just my opinion).

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushdoctor View Post
    I was not advertising I have never heard of buydomains.com. The link was correct and should have taken you to the home page of British association for shooting and conservation the UKs biggest and leading shooting
    organisation of which ALL shooters should be members. As well as the excellent insurance cover which in my experience carries a lot of weight with farmers and land owners when requesting permission to
    shoot, there are many other benefits which come with membership including having a voice in westminster to protect your right to shoot by challenging unfair legislation. In my opinion any shooter who does
    not or will not join basc or one of the smaller associated organisations does not deserve to shoot. (This is not advertising either its just my opinion).
    very helpful link, thanks

I can't wait until the end of march when I will have transport again so that I can go squirrel thumping, the only way that the repopulation of our native red is going to be successful is by a major reduction, if not eradication of the grey!

Quote Originally Posted by tds123 View Post
    I can't wait until the end of march when I will have transport again so that I can go squirrel thumping, the only way that the repopulation of our native red is going to be successful is by a major reduction, if not eradication of the grey!
    The Tree rats make quite good eating too."POPCORN Squirrel"Dusted n deep fried.yum.
    Must be the "Redneck in me coming out.
    shame we aint got Possom.hear the stews quite good too!!

Your right, bloody good eating mate! My Mrs can't eat them though, she's allergic to nuts! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by tds123 View Post
    Your right, bloody good eating mate! My Mrs can't eat them though, she's allergic to nuts! Lol
    LOl tim ,can't you trim em off."they are in the little bag by the back legs or only shoot lady squirrels.LOL

Wanderer
    grey squirrels are at least as good as rabbits to eat if not better but are tough to skin. I find them easier if you skin them while they are still warm. Quite right we need to get rid of the greys to give the reds
    a chance but we all need to play our part by waging total war on the greys. Perhaps this is an argument which can be used to persuade farmers and land owners to give us permission to shoot.