Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold car trouble

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Forgot to mention, the battery is now replaced, and the 4 year old has learned whole new vocabulary that I will probably hear back from his kindergarten about...
    Anyway, I managed to squeeze ou the old one ( it's a tight fit in these modern engine bays), put it on the ground next to the new one...2 inches too long. So back to the dealer, who mystically found a
    better battery with longer warranty (4 years ain't to bad) than the other one, and for the same price!

Back, installed and cars starts. We'll see in the morning, when bot car and battery is cold...
    Excellent! Love getting the kids in on the job. Don't worry, they'll learn worse in school, I'm sure.

In regard to the cold weather closing schools; it has to be -29*C before schools are required to close around here. More often than not, they'll close due to road conditions before temps.
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    That's probably the grease in the gear housing freezing till the overheating motor softens it. Motor could burn out eventually if that is the case.
    OH! Good tip, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you! It's a lease anyway, so if it does burn out, it's the dealer's problem. Wooo!!!
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

They were prob been green n using Bio Diesel/reclaimed Chip/frying oil.Which Gels up more easily.
    Seemed to remember we used to add a gallon of petrol to each "tank" of diesel fuel.To keep it more fluid!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Actually I'll retract the "never heard of a school closing part".

There have been cases where they had to close the schools. But that was beause of avalanches, or danger of avalanches closing roads. Or because of electric power outages during a hurricane (but having a hurricane in itself won't close the school).

The mayor of Karasjokk, one of the coldest places in Norway, says in this interview that even when the temps drop below -50*c the schools will not close. But then then the students may choose if they will come to school or not. The school bus will have to stop at -38*C but that is no reason not to come to school. As it is the parents responsibility to get them there :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

When I was in Norway, about 100 years ago , we used to 4 to 1 diesel / petrol to stop the diesel fuel from "waxing"
    The fuel suppliers, we were told, supposedly changed over to a different formula for the Diesel fuel when winter was about to set in but the fuel retailers would still be using up their summer stock; hence the problems

Having built a few Motorhomes over the years, I'd have to say that Varta batteries are worth the extra money
    Last edited by happybonzo; 13-01-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    When I was in Norway, about 100 years ago , we used to 4 to 1 diesel / petrol to stop the diesel fuel from "waxing"
    The fuel suppliers, we were told, supposedly changed over to a different formula for the Diesel fuel when winter was about to set in but the fuel retailers would still be using up their summer stock; hence the problems

Having built a few Motorhomes over the years, I'd have to say that Varta batteries are worth the extra money
    Yes it's still winter and summer diesel mixes here.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Yesterday the low temperature here was -3 (yeah - really cold ). Any tips from you guys on the fastest way to de-ice the car windows in the morning? I've got heating filaments front an rear which makes a big difference, but the side windows that face the prevailing wind can sometimes take some real elbow grease to scrape clear.

Thanks,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Yesterday the low temperature here was -3 (yeah - really cold ). Any tips from you guys on the fastest way to de-ice the car windows in the morning? I've got heating filaments front an rear which makes a big difference, but the side windows that face the prevailing wind can sometimes take some real elbow grease to scrape clear.

Thanks,

M@
    I know a few tricks but those may crack your windows....

Easiest way is an electric coupe heater on a timer, so that it switches on 30-45 minutes before you get in the car. It will defrost all the windows and make your car nice and warm before you get out.
    Most people in Norway has those. But it requires fitting some 220v wiring into your car...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post

Thanks,

M@
    I spray mine with deicer,Before it freezes,ie night before.
    If I expect,snow or to be in a hurry,in the am,Go out "Lamping "early..I Cover windscreen n frontsides.with a piece of carpet
    underfelt.(dimpled rubberized type).secured by "ranger bands."to door handle n roof bars of jeep.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Improvisation, an old trick I was taught years ago by my granddad & by a National Service Soldier, using an old thick wool horse blanket, open the engine hood & place the blanket over the engine, close hood, this keeps the heat in & in most cases an easy engine start next day. Tried & tested in sub zero conditions & within a garage. I used such as initiative on a survival course years later when sleeping inside a Landrover with a 3 man crew arctic conditions. Used the only blanket stored in the rear of the landrover placed over the engine, next day engine started without issue after a few turns of the key.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 21-01-2015 at 03:44 PM.