Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing leather projects

Finishing leather projects

Hi all, not been around for a spell hope all's well. I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advise on finishing/sealing the leatherwork after dyeing. ie- products used and recomended. Also do you treat it with water resistance in mind or not ( i mean sheaths etc) Any advise would be gratefully recieved. Hope you all have a good 2015. Daz.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    So many options for finishing. I sometimes dye the leather depending on colour I want, and I now always saturate with wax.

Thanks for your reply.I'm sure this is a daft question to those in the know but what kind of wax do you use. Atb.

I also saturate the leather in warm beeswax. i brush it on the use a paint stripper gun to heat it until the wax soaks in. careful not to get it too hot though!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

You can buy ready made wax products on evil bay for waxing horse blankets and waxed coats. Or mix your own using paraffin wax + turpentine + bees wax.(some contain linseed oil but this will yellow over time, good for wood though).
    The more bees wax or less turpentine you add the firmer the wax will be.
    And as Thumbcrusher stated use a heat gun to melt it in to the item but don't over heat it.

Thanks for taking the time guys, atb.

Samuel Hearne
    I used to use a hair dryer set on hot, to heat bees wax on to my ammo boots prior to bulling them, my boots never cracked unlike some of the other blokes.

I only ever had one piece over heated and that was a test piece

Wanderer
    I used to use bees wax and a hair dryer (until the wife caught me) bees wax is also good for dressing walking sticks instead of varnish.

Samuel Hearne
    I was lucky my girlfriend at the time had a spare hair dryer which she gave me and it lasted a good few years.