Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Full Tang Bushcraft Knife VS Traditional Puukko

It makes more practical and economic sense.
    In modern times I view the mora as the equivalent in regards to cutting edge to steel used ratio
    From a purely practical point of view I personally believe due to less weight in the handle in a puukko I prefer the overall balance of a puukko over a full tang of equal blade length,but that's personal preference on my part and i can make a puukko handle that fits my hand perfectly but o i do not have the time skill or money to make a full tang that would give me equal results
    Last edited by si; 06-03-2015 at 06:56 PM.

All the knives my grandfathers used where the cheap Mora 01 with the red wooden handle. And they used them for everything. The only exception was the belt knife my fmaternal grandfather used when he was in the hills. Then it was a Geilo Scout knife that was on his belt. About the size of a Mora 02. That one is sitting on the shelf next to me and is the sharpest piece of steel I own. I do not even think full tang knives existed in Norway in their time. A cheap Mora or equivalent was what people had. All with a stick tang.

As kids we all got Helle or Brusletto knives. Different times. Still all stick tangs and we beat the living daylights out of them. But all right....sometimes they would break, in which case our dads would give us a wack over the head. Or the blade might get loose, in which case my dad would give the knife a good whack in the pommel and the problem was fixed. Anyway, we abused the hell out of those knives. My Helle scout...I used to baton it with a hammer to split planks to make wooden play rifles for my mates. Never broke...well I broke the tip when I played "divide the land" with my maytes at school. You make a circle in the ground, and divide it by throwing your knife into it...sure you know the game. Fixed with a file, good as new.

When the knife got unsharp, I simply took it to my grandfather and he sharpened it on his big round stone, while I turned the handle to rotate the stone.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 06-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

So it's clear your not part of the one knife one life demographic lol

Quote Originally Posted by si View Post
    So it's clear your not part of the one knife one life demographic lol
    I suffer from chronic shiny kit syndrome...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I suffer from chronic shiny kit syndrome...
    That's very contagious sir,difficult on the wallet

Well, I have traded my Eenzo off in favor of a nice bark handled puukko, the Iisakki Järvenpää Aito.
    I'll post more thoughts when I get it.

It seems to me I was lugging a lot of unneeded weight around for a full tang on what was a light to medium duty knife.
    The Aito also appears to have a more comfortable handle shape, and I love the look of that stacked birch bark.

Sometimes less is more,I love 80crv2 steel

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman Zack View Post
    Well, I have traded my Eenzo off in favor of a nice bark handled puukko, the Iisakki Järvenpää Aito.
    I'll post more thoughts when I get it.

It seems to me I was lugging a lot of unneeded weight around for a full tang on what was a light to medium duty knife.
    The Aito also appears to have a more comfortable handle shape, and I love the look of that stacked birch bark.
    Now that's a sweet puukko
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Now that's a sweet puukko
    Thanks, I'll let you know when I get it in hand.

interesting thread guys, I like these.