Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dartmoor overnighter advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    ...As Jus says though, wood is scarce on the moor. Much of the woodland around the edges is ancient woodland, so can't even use fallen timbers, as this would damage the eco system that help maintains such areas...
    Well said Adam

Well, almost well said. It should be "helps maintain", not help maintains" Got my S in the wrong place lol
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

thanks for all the good info guys has pointed me in the right direction.

i'll let you know how we get on

cheers

timmy

Did this happen? Where did you go in the end and how did you get on?
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

We did make it out yep thanks guys.

We followed Ichneumons advice and parked up in town and then head down behind the plume of feathers and followed the track down past the nun farm and down a bit further.

Unfortunately my brother arrived late so we didn't set off as early as we had intended. We started running out of light and the weather was closing in before we got down to the river Plym so we ended up hauled up in a hole in the ground which I think was some old ruins from a mine maybe.

We did take a small BBQ and a couple of those instant light logs from B&Q which I know is cheating. I forgot my insulation layer which made it a bit chilly so we had the BBQ under the tarp to keep us warm, it was still -5 though.

The weather wasn't great, we had wind rain , sleat and a bit of sun in the morning.

Trying to upload some photos but not having it at moment , will try again later.

Cheers

Timmy

Nice One! I'm curious where you ended up spending the night, I suspect it may have been Eylesbarrow.

It sounds like you sampled some good ol' Dartmoor weather there.

Hope you can get the photos up.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

I will down on Dartmoor over the next two weeks for work. I am help in instructing on SERE with them during our shooting/battle camp looking forward to spend some time out down there and it is a lot better than running around after staff officers

Will be my last battle camp so looking forward to it.

Sounds good Timmy. Although not really allowed to camp on, in, or too close to ruins, technically. I don't think anyone would have minded though.

Eylesbarrow is quite lumpy to sleep in Paul (Ichneumon), with all the rocks in it

I am back from my little jaunt down on Dartmoor, I was mainly in the Okehampton and Tavistock area. Was good fun and found some good sites and now have a decent map of the area as well. Although I had permisson to be there you would have to watch out for the ranges especially when firing