Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is your stove preference and why?

I'm becoming a bit of a stove junkie have several different ones. Have sort of a soft spot for the old Coleman peak one white gas stoves they are fast not to heavy and you can actually cook with them. As of late my favorite new stove is a brunton canister man tey are impressively fast. Have a couple wood stoves not had chance to fire up yet either to cold or windy. But love the simicity on the canister stoves the torch sound I can deal with
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

For base camp, Trangias but on long hikes and at altitude the MSR Pocket Rocket, it may not have a lot of soul but it's light, compact, cheap and boils water in 20% of the time of a Trangia - I'll let the mountains supply the soul....

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    - I'll let the mountains supply the soul....
    the soul it's gotta come from somewhere

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    For base camp, Trangias but on long hikes and at altitude the MSR Pocket Rocket, it may not have a lot of soul but it's light, compact, cheap and boils water in 20% of the time of a Trangia - I'll let the mountains supply the soul....
    I love my campfire while i set up camp to warm frozen hands, and I like to sit and stare into it, at least for the five minutes before boredom takes me... and I whip out a book.
    But in the morning when the fire place is covered in half a meter of snow, or it is raining nails, I prefer the ability to get my brew going by the press of a piezo button :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I like to sit and stare into it, at least for the five minutes before boredom takes me... I'm so shallow I have hidden shallows.... probably takes five hours before I tire of staring at a campfire! Thankfully, its genetic, it's the only thing that shuts the kids up........ but it's definitely easier to carry a pocket rocket and the kids would chew my arm off if breakfast was late at altitude....... God helg......

A campfire makes a better telly than a telly, if that makes sense, I could sit and watch it for days..........

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Ah, you got one with a roarer burner. Very reliable, and yes...never ever fire up these inside.
    The norwegian army uses these to ehat their tents...they give about 2500 w of heat
    :-)

Here is how to fire it up safely:

They give out about 10,000 BTU's so very close to 3KW. The guy in the video has clearly not used these superb stoves for real, I'll try and do a video on lighting them.

You must remember that 'Primus' stoves were not just for camping trips, many such as the very reliable Primus No5 were designed as domestic cookers to be used in the home so when you know what your doing these paraffin stoves are safe to use indoors.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    so when you know what your doing these paraffin stoves are safe to use indoors.
    But in my hands.......(and if I remember as it was over 20 years ago) fuel spilled into the lower "tray" and ignited, problem was it was in my bedroom. My mom wondered why I bought a rug, it was to hide the square of melted carpet!

Don't worry I am older and wiser these days and don't set fire to stuff indoors

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    But in my hands.......(and if I remember as it was over 20 years ago) fuel spilled into the lower "tray" and ignited, problem was it was in my bedroom. My mom wondered why I bought a rug, it was to hide the square of melted carpet!

Don't worry I am older and wiser these days and don't set fire to stuff indoors

Cheers
    Tim
    Tim, its simply a matter of knowing how to light a paraffin pressure stove, it's not rocket science. Remember Captain Scott died of starvation and not by burning down their tent.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    They give out about 10,000 BTU's so very close to 3KW. The guy in the video has clearly not used these superb stoves for real, I'll try and do a video on lighting them.

You must remember that 'Primus' stoves were not just for camping trips, many such as the very reliable Primus No5 were designed as domestic cookers to be used in the home so when you know what your doing these paraffin stoves are safe to use indoors.

I happen to know that at the time the video was made, the guy in the video had not used an Optimus 111 for 20 years, but did it as the Norwegian army thought him (except they told him to use matches, but he did not have any), where it is extremely forbidden to fire these up inside, as if you do it wrong they have a tendensy to flare up, with about a meter high flame (happens if you do not pre-heat it enough). So the general order is to fire them up outside, then carry them inside when you have a good, safe burn burn going.

The army also thought him that they give around 2500-3000 Watts depending on fuel. I also know that during his national service year alone he spent 120 days living in tents in arctic winter conditions heated by these, and spent countless hours awake tending them...the order was to wear boots, sit, and always watch it.

I know all of that about the dude in the video because he is me
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 09-01-2015 at 07:35 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum