Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is your stove preference and why?

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    But in my hands.......(and if I remember as it was over 20 years ago) fuel spilled into the lower "tray" and ignited, problem was it was in my bedroom. My mom wondered why I bought a rug, it was to hide the square of melted carpet!

Don't worry I am older and wiser these days and don't set fire to stuff indoors

Cheers
    Tim
    Yes that happens a lot. That's why I like to use the funnel to fill the pre-heating pan as it gets quite fidly to reach. You can pour it over the top as well, but that just increases the risk of spilling the fuel.
    It's also the reason I wait until the end of the pre-heating burn before I pump pressure into the tank.

And as I say, if you fail to pre-heat it enough you get what we in the Norwegian army called a *"Home guard fire"....always a mark of ridicule :-)

Here is a sNorwegian soldier messing it up...probably during training as he has a stack of them behind him :-) Atually, just spotted his arm patch...he IS a Home Guards man :-)

But lets not ridicule the home guard...the His Majesty the Kings Guard seem to have some problems too....

Last edited by FishyFolk; 09-01-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Ah, you got one with a roarer burner. Very reliable, and yes...never ever fire up these inside.
    The norwegian army uses these to ehat their tents...they give about 2500 w of heat :-)

Here is how to fire it up safely:

Very instructive indeed - many thanks, now I want one - thankfully none on ebay so I'm saved from myself. However, that is not how to make a cup of tea! If you must use a tea bag, pour the water on to it!

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Very instructive indeed - many thanks, now I want one - thankfully none on ebay so I'm saved from myself. However, that is not how to make a cup of tea! If you must use a tea bag, pour the water on to it!
    I am Norwegian, hence I am a barbarian!

he he, I was probably just glad I was finished with the video, and forgot to put the bag in before I poured water :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I am Norwegian, hence I am a barbarian!

he he, I was probably just glad I was finished with the video, and forgot to put the bag in before I poured water :-)
    I was being churlish - my tea bag would have gone in first but I suspect the water would never have reached the boil!

Alone in the Wilderness
    I love my Ghillie Kettle, great for boiling water and cooking on very little fuel. This is me excitedly testing it out in the snow, in the back garden, when I first got it. .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghillie_kettle_storm_kelly_1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	12798
    Sadly I don't get much time to use it in the wild . But worth a look IMO.
    It's not the lightest item, so I also have a meths Trangia which has already had well deserved praise in this thread.
    One is none. Two is one.

Open fire whenever possible.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

i prefer open fires... but if im camping without permission (i know, im naughty) i use a small fold up solid fuel burner or a wood burning stove i made from an old large dog food can...

if im camping without permission i prefer to leave the spot looking exactly as it did when i arrived...
    if i can have an open fire then you will only see the fire spot when i leave... unless i made a pit which i fill in...

but i generally cover up fire spots with leaves so its at least disguised...

regardless of where i camp i always leave it as close to how it looked when i arrived... i never want to spoil camping in the future

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    80% of the time my cooking..(ok stop laughing at the back there..) Alright meal prep then is open fire..

But on day walks for the odd brew it's either a little ancient cartridge gas stove or more often now the Swiss Volcano with a spirit burner in it.

I have a few different stoves but do enjoy using the Crusader cup and stove cooking system. Water bottle, stove and two cups all pack together and I use it with a shoe polish tin meths burner. A homemade lid saves fuel and cooking time.

Like many folks I have a good number of stoves if Im in the woods then love a wood stove of some description but when camping on the bike I love my trangia with gas conversation altough had it 20plus years im not looking to change.