Thread: 'Tis the season...

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

'Tis the season...

Yule in the wood was mild and mostly dry, although in the early hours the South Westerly wind paid a vist until dawn, but a memorable way to start the new year with the wind in the trees sounding like heavy surf on a rocky shore.

I thought I would give this little tent a try, I was only staying in the wood for 3 nights so just needed basic sleeping cover.

Bearing in mind what an English winter can spring surprises with, I rigged my Basha sheet as extra protection, although I know that little tent will withstand a pretty fair downpour it's really a summer tent..but..unless you are reasonably flexible AND can do sit-ups (proper ones, not girly ones with someone holding your feet.. ) I don't recommend using it. Listed as 2 man on the label..Ha! Yeah, a couple of skinny Taiwanese shorties perhaps...

Spent some time tracking the local Deer, they change their pathways occasionally and when I see that a track hasn't been used for a while I get nosey and look for the trail in use. I cheat a bit and pick where they cross the river..

Just last night early morning I reckon, they hadn't filled with seeped water yet...

Other forest folk have been busy too...

Interestingly, Foxy decided to mark this non natural intruder to his area. It's one of those balloons that people buy at outdoor events and send off with a message attached. Message long ago munched by Meeces no doubt...

A fairly catastrophic end to a Silver Birch..

Now this one I've got lined up for a mate of mine, he's a self taught wood carver and turns out some impressive articles..

These two saplings form part of the forest orchestra. When the wind is South Westerly they sound like a badly tuned Cello but if the wind changes they become a sort of muted door knocker..

I pushed them apart to get the photo..looks like things get warm with friction too, on a windy night..

I heard this as evening fell, Brock the Badger giving this old deadfall a bashing to get at the grubs..

Hornbeams showing their 'Elephant skin' bark..

Squirrels are really awake and chasing each other,sorting out territories and possible mates. The Bluetits are definitely interested in one of my nest boxes, although they refused to pose on this occasion.

Hanging deadwood for the yule fire..

And to the reason for my woodland visit, the Wheel turns and for some the New Year begins. The best place for me to be at such a time is in the wood.
    First brew of the New Year by the Yule Fire...Life is good...
    Sax.

Great write-up, mo chara .
    Indeed, it makes you wonder how they get those figures to determine what is a "2 man tent", a "3 man shelter", etc. Better to cut the number in half as an estimation.
    For me, the New Year starts November 6th, or whenever the Sun aligns 15 degrees into Scorpio. Yule (or is it "Iul"?... ) here was overcast, and a light snow touched the trees...shame it's all melted now lol .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Great bit of tracking,nice pictures too.

Think they should call the tents "Lovers Tents"(1 man 1Woman.)cos they are very close n intimate.lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Put a full rucksack of kit in and they're definitely one man...yet another great photo story, Sax...your a lucky man to have such opportunity...Hope the Solstice Beyond brings you Great Fortune in Your Journeys.....

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Nice write up and pic's

Enjoyed the read, thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."