Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making fishing gear

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Recently been putting together improvised Hobo/Yo-Yo fishing reel gear for a group Bushcraft instruction session. Last year we had a very successful impromptu meet on the river bank which provided a few supported Service users with Special Needs who came along on a days supervised fly fishing, giving an insight into Bushcraft & Hobo Yo-Yo fishing. Anyway, a old use for plastic Chapstick/Lip balm containers once the contents have been used, cleaned out with soapy water, these can be used for small fishing kits, the internal holds some fishing hooks, line, & weights, in a small plastic bag, where the container minus the outer plastic product details wrap used as the fishing float. Alternative the fishing line can be wrapped around the outer balm tube held in place with small float rubber bands. Small float rubber bands were affixed too as to alter the line drop length. It does work BTW.
    Regards
    David

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Recently been putting together improvised Hobo/Yo-Yo fishing reel gear for a group Bushcraft instruction session. Last year we had a very successful impromptu meet on the river bank which provided a few supported Service users with Special Needs who came along on a days supervised fly fishing, giving an insight into Bushcraft & Hobo Yo-Yo fishing. Anyway, a old use for plastic Chapstick/Lip balm containers once the contents have been used, cleaned out with soapy water, these can be used for small fishing kits, the internal holds some fishing hooks, line, & weights, in a small plastic bag, where the container minus the outer plastic product details wrap used as the fishing float. Alternative the fishing line can be wrapped around the outer balm tube held in place with small float rubber bands. Small float rubber bands were affixed too as to alter the line drop length. It does work BTW.
    Regards
    David
    The only thing I would change would be adding some soft elastic inline as a shock absorber. Saves loosing a catch if your mono is worn etc. always have some in my fishing tin for that reason if you have it in a lurid colour it also works as an indicator.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Sun came creeping back over the horizon today, So I guess I'll have to go look over my tackle and get the ice fishing season started. Plan to do at least one hammock overnighter by a nice lake :-)
    Last time I attempted that I had a very nice evening and night by the lakeside. But in the morning I woke up to a half meter of snow, and gale force winds over the lake, so I chickend out on the fshing....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Midge_Fodder thanks for the tip. My young friend David Barr 'Young Fly Fisher' from South Lanarkshire has offered some tuition I'm arranging to meet he in the tackle shop where he has been working in Glasgow & going through some expert tips & tricks with he.
    Regards
    David

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Ahhh with a name like Barr there's no surprising he's great.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk