Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing odds..

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Yes Mike. Flares on board. I've thought about flares, certainly at sea where vision is unobstructed they work well but I'm not convinced about ashore, except in barren areas like desert. In woodland a handheld distress flare probably hasn't got that much advantage over a really powerful torch and a parachute flare as you know climbs to a height before igniting, so although it might let them know you're in the forest somewhere unless they see it climb the first they know is when the sky lights up. Different at sea where they can do a 360 degree scan and hopefully spot you, but in dense forest it's probably more like " Did anybody see where that came from? "
    I've played with that strobe of mine when ashore and found the best tactic is to tie a weight on a length of paracord and throw it over the highest tree branch I can. Then haul the strobe up to the branch and let it hang and swing. The hope is it will be spotted high in the canopy easier than on the forest floor. I can do the same with those Cyalume lights I carry. That's assuming I'm mobile enough to start heaving paracord about..

Sapper has more experience than any of us in search and rescue and I suspect very often it is down to a good systematic search plan and a four legged Detective that finds most lost people in the UK..

We had a good lecture by somone from the Norwegian Rescue Coordination Centre. He told us most of the time they have a pretty good idea, and often pin point idea where people are, thanks to their cell phones. This as most people call in themselves, rather than being reported missing, and unless they are completely lost, they are able to tell their position, or at least describe the area. . So most of the time it's quite simple "fetching" missions. I.e they send out the helicopter to pick somoene who has been injured off a mountain, or if feasable, a mountain rescue team from the Red Cross.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Sapper has more experience than any of us in search and rescue and I suspect very often it is down to a good systematic search plan and a four legged Detective that finds most lost people in the UK..
    Might be an idea to take some marrow bone jelly,Or in the case off our dog "Boris"(in France)a piece of STILTON CHEESE.
    I swear he can smell it the moment I drive off the boat.He'll go or do anything for a piece.lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Calling for help via 'phone is getting very common over here amongst coastal sailors too Rune. Many don't bother with channel 16 the distress/calling channel on VHF, or even the DSC which identifies the vessel and gives it's position (if the set is properly installed) They just pick up the mobile phone and dial the Coastguard. The rescue services can normally get a fix on the phone eventually.

A cheese eatin' dog..sounds a character Mike..

Calling for help via 'phone is getting very common over here amongst coastal sailors too Rune. Many don't bother with channel 16 the distress/calling channel on VHF, or even the DSC which identifies the vessel and gives it's position (if the set is properly installed) They just pick up the mobile phone and dial the Coastguard. The rescue services can normally get a fix on the phone eventually.

A cheese eatin' dog..sounds a character Mike..
    I got an app on my phone that when i push the "button" will send my GPS coordinates to the Rescue Coordination Centre as a text message.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

[QUOTE=saxonaxe;123500
    A cheese eatin' dog..sounds a character Mike..[/QUOTE]

Yes John,Boris sure is.Was a rescue dog,Part Husky,Part sheep dog.one white eye,one blue.
    Lives on my cousins farm in Fougerolle de Plessis,or with me if they are in Canada.
    Known him to find and eat apiece of stilton in the bottom of his bowl.even when there is a heap of Roes liver on top of it.
    Just glad he doesnt want a glass of port with it. lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown