Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Fishing Kit - What does it really take?

lol yeah...
    leaves your hands smelling worse than they look...

and im not fussed about worm guts on my hands...

its funny, id prefer the entrails of something on my hands over the outter goo of another...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDaddy187 View Post
    lol yeah...
    leaves your hands smelling worse than they look...

and im not fussed about worm guts on my hands...

its funny, id prefer the entrails of something on my hands over the outter goo of another...
    Especially if there's a nice piece of Trout somewhere in my near future.

Samuel Hearne
    Primerib I wind my braid round a piece of stiff plastic which I use as a hand reel and the braid I use is about 30lb bs I cant remember what make it is but have not had any problems with it, Its the same stuff on my fishing reels if I do get any tangles it any of my line I get a saftey pin out and undo any knots before they are pulled to tight and that is not very often.

I only bring fishing kit when there is a chance there will be fishing. And then I simply bring the rod that is suitable for the kind of fishing I am on to.
    Else, unless I am going so far off the beaten track that I will need to fish to survive because going home is not an option. I'll consider these small survival type fisking kits. Else...if you are in shape to fish, set snares or even hunt...you as well just use the energy to go home. If I can't manage that, I am probably not in shape for fishing either...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hey,

It's not an emergency kit, but I bring this minimal fishing kit when I go on the beach.

Yeah, that's a baby feed

I put all my gear in it, and the fishing line around it. It has a perfect curve which prevent the line to go out.
    Totally waterproof, it floats and can't be lost !
    Last edited by jacob karhu; 22-12-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: mistake
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Great Idea,Jacob.

ps."It floats".....hope that helps.your english better than my French,mon ame.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Samuel Hearne
    Jacob that is a neat idea I think I will have to change my coke bottle for a baby bottle as it has a wide neck to store tackle.

Awesome idea. My 19 month old boy has exactly those NUK bottles but is now skilled enough to drink from a cup. He doesn't need them anymore.

I can't say what I would use as an "emergency" fishing kit...don't think I would find myself miles and miles from civilisation and in desperate need of fish to fry . If things turned ugly, say, I bust an ankle hiking up a mountain in the Catskills, fishing and other forms of hunting are not going to be on my mind.
    A minimalist fishing setup is also impractical for me. It is illegal to fish with hand lines here (though it's perfectly OK in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire), so I'd have to use a rod, and many states have fiddly regulations defining what a rod is, and I doubt I could get away with a cut branch...I certainly don't want to find out the hard way and get in trouble with the wardens .
    So, my kit consists of a 7.5 ft Redington Classic Trout fly rod, which has 4 pieces to assemble, the case to carry it in, my Lamson Konic II reel with backing, line, and leader set up, my fly box (just an old Altoid's tin), forceps, a line straightener, and some extra leaders stowed in a pocket.
    Something else to consider is that many lakes, rivers, and streams in the northeast are contaminated with mercury, lead, or PCBs...and so are the fish, so eat at your own risk. My normal routine is catch-and-release, since there are only a few rivers I trust.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob karhu View Post
    Hey,

It's not an emergency kit, but I bring this minimal fishing kit when I go on the beach.

Yeah, that's a baby feed

I put all my gear in it, and the fishing line around it. It has a perfect curve which prevent the line to go out.
    Totally waterproof, it fleets and can't be lost !
    Excellent idea