Thread: Newbie advice needed.

Hobo

Newbie advice needed.

Hello all,

I'm a new to bushcraft, I'm based in Stockport/Manchester.

I'm looking for some generally advice on starting out, and help with getting out there and meeting others if possible.

I'm also considering doing a 2-3 day course, there seems to be a lot out there, so which would be best?

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Cr3do.

In the first instance (before spending money on a course) I would suggest getting out on a few meets as you will learn a huge amount at a significantly lower cost. There are a few groups on here within the Community section so keep an eye on those in the new year for meets.

This forum is also a great source of knowledge so it's worth spending time doing some reading - as it's not the first time this question has been asked. In fact, I think I asked the same question myself once!

During these cold winter months you could a lot worse than practise your knots in the comfort of your home.

Hope this helps,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Welcome and can't get better advice than that

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    There's an old saying Cr3do, " Time spent on reconnaisance is never wasted".. I'd go along with Ehcatl's suggestion. There's some really useful videos made by folk on this forum showing fire lighting, shelter rigging and all sorts of things that you could have a go at in your own garden before you have to spend money on courses. If you spend some time watching videos on YouTube you'll soon realise that not all are presented by people who thoroughly understand what they are 'teaching'...But there's some excellent basics teaching vids available if you have a hunt around.
    Local gatherings will quite possibly have a wider range of skills on show than a set syllabus on a short course anyway..and they're a lot cheaper..

Hobo
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I will definalty go along with Ehchatl's suggestions and get searching the forum.

Cheers.

Cr3do - as a starting point try Forum --> Bushcraft, Camping & Outdoors --> Bushcraft ---> Bushcraft Beginners
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I'll Ditto all the above.
    Nowt to beat a bit of arm chair research.n in the New Year.when the groups start having meetings.Go along,if only for the day?
    Meet up with a lot of knowledgeable people who will be more than willing to share their skills with you!Hands on.
    n Have a very good time.!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Hobo
    Thanks very much Ehecatl and midas, I really appreciate the advice! Cheers.