Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What iv been up to..

What iv been up to..

Hi guys,

its been a long time since iv posted on here, thought id explain where iv been for so long...

about a year and a half ago I decided I wouldn't be happy unless I followed my dream and tried to become a full time gamekeeper, so after a lot of thought I realised I would have to go at this full throttle or I wouldn't get what I wanted. and if I had failed I would be happy knowing I tried.

so I quit my job and started to volunteer full time on a large pheasant and partridge shoot in Lancashire. I had experience of trapping and shooting and had done a lot of beating and some gundog training previously so this stood me in good stead.

After 6 months of volunteering and living in my caravan man cave (purchased for 50 quid!) I was put forward by the head keeper I was helping out for a position on a small duck shoot also in Lancashire.

I got the job and have been working there full time as a single handed keeper since. and I couldn't be happier, im literally living the dream.

its a duck shoot mainly with some pheasant and partridge, we put out about 7000 birds each year.

I now spend my days out all day in the country side feeding my birds as well as vermin control (trapping,snaring and shooting) as well as dog training and prepping for my shoots on a Friday.

so now everything is starting to settle down I have some spare time to do more bushcraft and post on here.

thanks guys

Shep!

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Hiya Shep, welcome back and congratulations mate.. Not many people achieve their full dreams, and being happy in what you do is worth more than you can put a price on.

thanks mate, yeah.. id still be doing it for free if I didn't have bills.. its so rewarding.

Samuel Hearne
    Welcome back Shep, good to see you have got a job that you enjoy doing.

thanks mate

Well done Shep,(Friend added),"Live the Dream",so many leave it until its too late....
    Its a good number of birds your putting out.But when one enjoys ones "work" its not a chore.
    atb.m
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

thank you pal.. that was my worry, so wanted to grab it both hands.. cheers

Shep

Congratulations on that achievement. Speaking from experience of doing the same in another line of work/lifestyle it's always going to be worth it :-)
    Life took me in another direction eventually...but I look back on that period of my life as the happiest in my life, only surpassed by watching the boys grow up :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Lucky you and well done

thank you very much pal.. was a hard road to get here but would do it all over again