Thread: What to do with hedgehogs?

Question What to do with hedgehogs?

I dropped off something at a friends house this evening, and as I was leaving I noticed something near the curb.

Sadly it's out of focus because it was too dark for my phone to focus before taking the picture.

I was worried the little guy/gal was going to get flattened in the road so I picked it up by scooping my hands under each side and gently took it over the pavement to the grass where there was a small hedge.

He/she vanished when I turned my back, so it's obviously healthy enough.

But it made me wonder. Is that the right thing to do, or should I leave them alone?

In general, is it better to get involved, or to let nature take care of itself?

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I think you did the right thing Bernie. Problem is, mild weather seems to tempt them out from what is usually a semi hibernation and they wander around almost in a confused state, if it was really cold they'd be tucked into the leaf litter somewhere with their metabolism on tick over 'till Spring. I would very rarely touch the young of wildlife, only under certain circumstances, but preventing Spikey from being squashed was a good move in my book.

Did the right thing there Bernie. Seen too many of those pancaked lately, that's one that will live to see another day.

Well done Bernie,a gold star for you......what you could have done was take it home banged it on the head packed it in clay and bate it in the ovenMMMMM hoggie pig nice.