Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it with mini-wood stoves.

I use a Bushbuddy for most of my backpacking trips to the woods, If I know there's plenty of fuel about then it's a no brainer.

A lot of folk myself included, will carry a lightweight DIY meths stove and a small amount of fuel for back up, but mostly relying on the wood burner.

I had a play with the BPL pocket stove which I found a step too far, the Honey is a good little stove but I didn't rate the pocket version.

I'm not entirely sure anyone would use something like a Pocket Stove for lighting a fire. I know the sellers say you can, but I doubt anyone bothers.
    I do have a Pocket Stove (and love it and would highly recommend it) but I use it solely as a combined pot stand/wind shield, which is where its true value is.

I do also have a Nimblewill stove (I made mine about 6" square), which I DO use for wood burning. And it's spot on for that. If anyone doesn't 'get it' than that's their problem, not mine, and I have no intention of trying to convince anyone about something I like, use, and value highly.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

It's a pocket wood stove which is what Bob designed it for, most people should use it for a wood burner otherwise it's just another alternative to a pot stand/windshield, I think there are better options for that.

I have a titanium nimblewell stove but it's too big for backpacking, the Bushbuddy is the best woodgas burner I've tried yet

The wild woodgas stove really needs a wind screen or they take ages to do anything, I pack my stove with wood and light it from the top for a long burn, I've seen a lot of people feeding with wood as they go, I don't know which way is correct!

Any comments welcome
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    The wild woodgas stove really needs a wind screen or they take ages to do anything, I pack my stove with wood and light it from the top for a long burn, I've seen a lot of people feeding with wood as they go, I don't know which way is correct!

Any comments welcome
    It may have been Bruce Lee (when referring to Jeet Kune do) who said "If it works, use it". So if it works for you then it is correct for you
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post

Any comments welcome
    I do both. But it's normaly burnt out before my water is up to a boil...so I have to sit an feed it. And here is a problem. If it's a little wet oustide, and it always is, the fire is sometimes...or quite often snuffed out when I put more fuel in...irritating!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    What size is that OAT? Looks about the same size as my Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy Wood Stove.
    It's about 15 cm in height, and the panels are 10cm x 14 cm.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    It's about 15 cm in height, and the panels are 10cm x 14 cm.
    That's bigger than my little 11 cm high, 9 x 13 cm floor. Sounds like I need to try it again to see how much work is involved in boiling some water on a little stove like this so I can answer Old Dog's original post.

Makes me wonder whether this falls into the "mini wood stove" category or is it too big - are there even smaller stoves?

I'd say that's about average in size...small enough for one person, but not too small that it couldn't handle some "real" cooking.
    The Emberlit Mini (Fireant) is what I would consider tiny, 10 cm height, panels are 6.4 cm x 11.2 cm, and the floor about 6.4 cm x 6.4 cm. I doubt it would be able to sustain a heat source for prolonged cooking without constant tending, but I could always be wrong...haven't tested it out.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Stainless Steel EmberLit (SS) and FireAnt (FA)

Both the Stainless Steel EmberLit (SS) and FireAnt (FA) need feeding whether you're boiling or cooking. Used the SS hundreds of times in all seasons over several years. Just got the FA so used maybe 30+ times. Pan fried, baked, etc on both using only wood. I've cooked full meals for four people on each, wasn't any more arduous than using any other single burner. With any personal (mini) wood stove the heat is so high one is stirring frequently anyhow so I fall into a rhythm of prepping some more sticks for fuel or prepping food for the next dish, stir, prep some more, feed the stove, repeat. Seems like the FA consumes wood more quickly but then I've found that it prefers smaller sticks than the SS.

With either you're talking roughly 6 min to boil 2 cups of water in an uncovered stainless steel nesting cup. Tending the EmberLits is simple: when I see flames *outside* the feedport, shove the sticks in until they touch the back wall. That's all, however this needs to be done every few minutes. Neither constant nor arduous but one does need to be mindful. Hardwoods and larger sized pieces minimize the feeding, but not by much. The main advantage to hardwoods is less smoke. Birch burns beautifully in the EmberLits. When pan frying I mix hard and soft woods to control the heat. Beyond not packing in fuel mini wood stoves keep me in touch with the locations and characteristics of natural materials. And who doesn't like staring into the coals or flames??

The main advantages with alkie stoves for me are: "set it and forget it" and "no smoke". Wet woods or softwoods can produce an abundance of smoke. Recently learning about various types of simmer rings with alkie stoves. Which has me excited about their application to dry baking in the field. Wet baking is safer over a wood fire. I've made tea or stew and bannock simultaneously in my 12cm Zebra over wood stoves and campfires hundreds of times. "Set it and forget it" sounds pretty nice sometimes. Dry baking's allure is that it yields much nicer crusts.

Hope this is helpful. Happy Trails.
    Last edited by DuxDawg; 22-11-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo