Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help 2 day walk pack to heavy

I’m a long distance, ultra light, hillwalker. I’m currently looking at the opposite of you. Beefing up my gear for more chilled out experiences. But I wont ever lose the weight saving mentality. I see it as saving weight for the purpose.

The biggest problem is that saving weight without losing equipment means spending lots of money, gathering lifetimes of knowledge, or both.

Without any understanding of your needs, here are my thoughts.

The first thing I consider is essential. Territory, how long and how far? Other than the 2 days you never mentioned anything, and these aspects are key as to what is saving weight and what is just dangerous.

I’ll concentrate only on what I know for sure.

2. Swedish Cook Pot: Maybe you could include the weight/size? If parking a car a few hundred yards from a campsite, it is pretty much irrelevant. But for distance this is the second major area where weight may be saved.

But it is a massive dependance. Is the weight spread across a number of people? If it’s a group cook set could it be lowered in weight by sharing the load, or by changing the material or size? If material, i.e. titanium it will be at a stupid cost, and thats even if it is available at whatever size.

3. Osprey cup and bottle and the cook set? Is this necessary? It might be, that’s your decision based on your knowledge of the cook set and alternative thoughts on water containers. I gave mine (Osprey) up for titanium long time ago.

4. Sharp Stone: Unless your carving a masterpiece your fine without it.

5. Army blanket/Army Poncho: This is the biggest area where weight can be saved, sleeping systems and shelter. It’s also where most thought needs put in. Ultralight down sleeping bags and tarps are great, but will burn like there’s no tomorrow. Just a place you may like to consider for your needs.

This also relates to weather/temperature and cooking methods of course.

6. Finally, your sewing kit. I just weighed mine for the first time. It weighs 0.6 grams. It’s a needle and maybe around 1-2 meters length of nylon thread. Other than a global disaster I see no need for anything more. Can you save weight there?
    Last edited by Magicdave; 02-03-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: grammer

Just something else I should have added. It reaches the point where saving weight is best, not for the pocket, done by replacing all individual items with lower weight alternatives (If the alternatives suit the need) rather than cutting down on equipment once you know what your minimum equipment is.