Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help 2 day walk pack to heavy

Samuel Hearne
    Mark if you need a light weight rucksack I have a new one that I can lend you its about 60 Ltr and weighs next to nothing.

I would also agree on that weight being about right. Personally I would only carry two litres of water using two of the one litre bottles. One bottle in use and the other doing what it needs to do for water treatment purposes. By only having the two it would free up a little weight for a spare set of clothes which is missing off your list, you should carry a dry set for camp in case you get wet and cold.

Check the first aid kit and make sure it is not full of unessential bits as well

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    Mark if you need a light weight rucksack I have a new one that I can lend you its about 60 Ltr and weighs next to nothing.
    Thanks for the offer Ian. I'm trying to use a 30/40 litre to keep the weight down

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I would also agree on that weight being about right. Personally I would only carry two litres of water using two of the one litre bottles. One bottle in use and the other doing what it needs to do for water treatment purposes. By only having the two it would free up a little weight for a spare set of clothes which is missing off your list, you should carry a dry set for camp in case you get wet and cold.

Check the first aid kit and make sure it is not full of unessential bits as well
    Fair point about the clothes. F/a kit is only small but compact.

I suppose it will depend on what time of year you are planning your walk but here are some guidelines.

Firstly, you are taking a lot of water. You are walking through Kent, not the Sahara. I live in Kent and have walked a great deal of it (the entire North Downs Way). You will not, at any point, be somewhere remote. You will pass many places, or near to many places (garages, shops, etc) where you can stop to purchase water during your walk. I know, because I have done. I'd be carrying no more than 2L of water, at the very maximum.

You can also get rid of the Milbank bags. They aren't needed - some parts of Kent are rural, but none of it is remote. Any water you find is likely to be polluted with chemicals from farm run off. I live in the county and I wouldn't drink from any of the streams and rivers.

If you want to make it light (which you say you do) then do without a fire and use a small gas burner instead. That way you can get rid of the laplander, firesteel, and tinder (although I acknowledge there's not much saving in weight between the swap of items) - alas there are a lot of farms and that means chemical pollutants.
    Do you really need a Swedish cook pot? I don't know how big it is, but if it's big enough to carry food and 2L of water then it sounds big to me. If you want to go light then get a smaller ally or Ti pot.

Tarp and poncho? As someone else said, is the poncho to keep the rain off? If so, a pack-a-mac would be a smaller and lighter option.
    Really can't see you needing a sewing kit and sharp stone either. Yeah, I know pretending one is off on an expedition is all part of the fun and games, but you really won't need them. Maybe just have one set of those items between the group of you, at most.
    I'd say your main area of saving should be in how much water you are carrying - 2L in that Swedish pot, 2 1L bottles AND a Osprey bottle!? Blimey. If it was me I'd have just the Osprey and another, and when they are empty I'd stop at a garage on the way and buy some more water! That's what I did.
    If you are really trying to save weight then ditch the hammock and sleep on the ground.

Personally, I've never used a headtorch all the times I've been out. Your eyes soon adjust to the dark. It may seem like a small item (like one or two other things I would ditch) but those little items soon all add up.

What's a DD Sleeper? Is it a sleeping bag? If so, then why do you need a blanket?

Anyway, that's what I would be ditching.
    Last edited by Humakt; 07-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Missed that blanket, i agree, wouldn't bother taking that one as it adds to the weight and bulk

Thank to everyone for all the input. Very helpful. A lot of good ideals and information. Will try to make a video of the final load with explanations for my choices.

Thanks mark.

Think everyone beat me to it . Lots of great advice here, don't think there's much left to add. As Jus, Humakt, and Ehecatl said, it would probably be wise to ditch the blanket. Modern sleeping bags are a much better option in terms of weight, insulation value, and pack space.
    Don't really see the point of taking the poncho if you're also taking along a tarp, though you could ditch the hammock and use the poncho as a ground sheet, perhaps. If you plan on hammock camping, the poncho is just added weight in your pack. A waterproof shell jacket is a better option. Oh, and if you're expecting rain, use a large plastic bag to cover your pack so your kit won't get wet or dampened. Won't add much weight besides a few grams.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

So maybe im just in the clouds or its because im from the US, but what the heck is a mustard tin and a poo bag? Like you cant defecate in the woods? Im lost guys please bear with me cause i know most of you guys are from Europe and have different slang terms.
    "Crouch low and carry a bent stick"
    The only easy day was yesterday!!!
    WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! Now im a tramp!!! Im tired of this name callin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trovilcl View Post
    So maybe im just in the clouds or its because im from the US, but what the heck is a mustard tin and a poo bag? Like you cant defecate in the woods? Im lost guys please bear with me cause i know most of you guys are from Europe and have different slang terms.
    lol Mustard tins would be the equivalent of our shoe polish tins in size, a way of re-using bits and bobs for Bushcraft, in this case, for storing tinder .
    Don't confuse a poo bag with Pooh's bag, I'm not sure he would like it 'cause it sure 'aint honey LOLOL . OK, OK, I'll stop . On the serious note, there are some spots that have strict regulations regarding waste. I believe there are a few places in the US that require human waste to be carried out. It's also good manners if camping on someone else's property.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin