Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help 2 day walk pack to heavy

Help 2 day walk pack to heavy

Some of us from the breakfast club are plan a little walk next year through Kent. Having finished work early for the week I got bord and started packing. Can't get the pack under 15 kilos. HELP !!!

Kit list as follows:-

DD tarp solo
    Light weight hammock
    Half length form mat
    Army blanket
    Army poncho
    Warm smock
    Scarf
    DD sleeper
    F/A kit
    Poo bag and scoop
    Milbank bag 2 litre
    Mora clipper and fire steel
    Banco folding saw
    Swedish Cook pot and stand which will also use as food storage and has a combined 2 litres of water containment
    Spork
    Osprey cup and bottle
    2 other 1 litre water bottles
    2 small tins with tinder
    Head torch
    Warm hat
    Dry bag
    Sharp stone
    Sewing kit

Help me !!!!!!!!

Sewing kit and sharp stone, for a two day walk I wouldn't bother... should way 14.95 kilo's now!
    The Only Possible Guarantee Of The Future Is Responsible Behaviour In The Present

Unroll the army blanket and remove the bottle of port and the bottle of brandy. That should lighten the load?

Presumably the army poncho is your water proof in case it rains - otherwise I'd ditch it.

Maybe ditch one of the tinder tins assuming the others will each bring a little tinder. Similarly with the FAK. Do you all need to take the same? Assuming of course some idiot from Hinckley isn't planning an ambush.
    Last edited by Ehecatl; 06-11-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by admo919 View Post
    Sewing kit and sharp stone, for a two day walk I wouldn't bother... should way 14.95 kilo's now!
    Ok sharp stone ( dc4 ) and swing kit gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Unroll the army blanket and remove the bottle of port and the bottle of brandy. That should lighten the load?

Presumably the army poncho is your water proof in case it rains - otherwise I'd ditch it.

Maybe ditch one of the tinder tins assuming the others will each bring a little tinder. Similarly with the FAK. Do you all need to take the same? Assuming of course some idiot from Hinckley isn't planning an ambush.
    No booze on this trip sir. Yes poncho is waterproof and multi purpose. The tinder tins are mustard tins. Not big or heavy.

Ok so I've removed 1 litre bottle of water plus small bits and bobs weighing 2 kilos. Getting better, all I need now is the donkey to carry it and me.

Maybe it's just me, but 15 kilos doesn't seem that bad...

My honest assessment of your kit list is that you've done very well.

Good advice from the others on here, I can't even add anything.

Best of luck!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

Hobo
    A man of your physical prowess should be fine with that weight, Mark

Funnily enough Paul and I were discussing this very point the weekend and 15-18kg is about right including water, probably just need to get out walking with some of the weight on board and acclimatise yourself. Sounds easy telling someone else how to do it!
    Last edited by Dazza190; 06-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.

[QUOTE=Ehecatl;122528]Unroll the army blanket and remove the bottle of port and the bottle of brandy. That should lighten the load?
    Haha
    +1
    I think sharing the load could help, don't double up
    Sounds a good trip, what time of year will you be going?
    Good luck
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    What's the weight of your empty Bergen Mark? If it's a surplus pack or a Gucci civvy one it may be heavier than you need for a two day trip.
    Just as an example, I've got a civvy 60 litre pack which when empty is about the same weight as an old Northern Ireland 30 litre Patrol pack.
    Just a thought. Obviously if you're going for a long trog out in the boonies then a good quality pack is best, but for a two day walk across Kent something lighter may be sufficient.

Now say thank you Sax, 'cos I've just given you an excuse to buy some more kit...........