Thread: Commando/Toggle Rope

Commando/Toggle Rope

This toggle rope is related to the soft shackle mentioned in the "Making cordage with a braiding disk" thread. I wish I knew more about this particular example I found at a yard sale. The seller only knew it belonged to her grandfather. The rope is a 8' long and 5/8" in diameter. I believe that it is manila. I knew that it was a commando rope from my scouting days in the 1950's.
    If you google these terms you will find out a lot about this item. Boy Scouts call it the Buddy Rope and have found many uses for it. Tony
    Toggle Rope
    Commando Rope

Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A toggle rope was part of the standard equipment of British commandos and the Parachute Regiment during World War II. It was 6 feet (1.8 m) long, and had a toggle at one end in a tightly fitting eye splice, with a larger eye at the other end. This enabled them to be fastened together to create an ersatz rope ladder, or to secure around a bundle for hauling, among other uses."

There are too many other uses to mention. Please Google either toggle rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=toggle+rope

or commmando rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=commando+rope
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    That's interesting Asemery, don't think I've ever seen one with such a well turned toggle. You probably know, but the single coloured yarn laid into that rope is known as a 'Thiefs Yarn'. When all ships were using natural fibre rope there was a fair old trade in rope that "went missing" from the Bosun's lockers and got sold to fishermen or other likely customers. The rope makers put a distinctive coloured yarn in their ropes to make them identifiable. For instance, Admiralty rope supplied to the Royal Navy, in Manilla rope there was one black yarn in every two strands, while Sisal rope had one red yarn laid into it. Obviously it was handy if a young Matelot was learning his seamanship too, because it helped identify which was Sisal and which was Manilla. Even today with man made ropes there is a 'Thiefs Yarn' laid into it now mostly for identifying the confusing types like Polyester a Blue yarn, Polypropolene a Brown yarn, etc: in British Admiralty ropes.

In theory it may be possible to trace where your toggle rope came from purely by the 'Thiefs Yarn,' The fact that it doesn't have the two black yarns laid into it as Royal Navy Manilla does, does'nt mean of course that it's not Royal Marine Commando issue, it could well be US Rangers or even British Para's kit.
    Thanks for showing us anyway..
    Last edited by saxonaxe; 04-11-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Duff spelling....

Never knew that about the yarn! Good stuff mate, every day is a school day

Quote Originally Posted by janso View Post
    Never knew that about the yarn! Good stuff mate, every day is a school day
    17 years old, and posing! We'd just moored in Kobe, Japan. Seaman was my first trade Janso. Turned up on those Bitts I'm leaning on was cable laid polypropylene, terrible stuff if it parted under strain, 'twas a killer...

Oh to be young again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lib009.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	12643

Toggle ropes were also issued to many Home Guard units
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

What a fantastic photo! There must be what?..56 stone+ on those toggle ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    That's interesting Asemery, don't think I've ever seen one with such a well turned toggle. You probably know, but the single coloured yarn laid into that rope is known as a 'Thiefs Yarn'. When all ships were using natural fibre rope there was a fair old trade in rope that "went missing" from the Bosun's lockers and got sold to fishermen or other likely customers. The rope makers put a distinctive coloured yarn in their ropes to make them identifiable. For instance, Admiralty rope supplied to the Royal Navy, in Manilla rope there was one black yarn in every two strands, while Sisal rope had one red yarn laid into it. Obviously it was handy if a young Matelot was learning his seamanship too, because it helped identify which was Sisal and which was Manilla. Even today with man made ropes there is a 'Thiefs Yarn' laid into it now mostly for identifying the confusing types like Polyester a Blue yarn, Polypropolene a Brown yarn, etc: in British Admiralty ropes.

In theory it may be possible to trace where your toggle rope came from purely by the 'Thiefs Yarn,' The fact that it doesn't have the two black yarns laid into it as Royal Navy Manilla does, does'nt mean of course that it's not Royal Marine Commando issue, it could well be US Rangers or even British Para's kit.
    Thanks for showing us anyway..
    I just love learning this stuff, thank you so much. If you're ever looking for a new turned toggle, just PM me details and I'll turn you a new one. Looks like Oak to me, but I think most hardwoods would hold up if the grain was true.