Thread: minimalist bushcraft night

minimalist bushcraft night

Indeed, as suggest the tittle, i had no sleeping bag, no backpack, mattress, food, and no shelter.

All I had is here :

That is to say : a small wool blanket used as a bag, my axe, 50cl of water and metallic mug.

Just for the night. Walk into forest for decompress reason.

Furthermore i saw a graceful deer when i come back from the fountain at night. At first, i noticed a luminous point between trees, then it moves when i approached.
    A little bit afraid at first, but exhilarated then.

So i came just to find a cute place, making a little fire and sleeping around it. I couldn't stop myself

elevation of my bed in order to stack dead leaves and moss.
    Vegetal moss roof
    stone wall to reflect heat to me
    rocks placed behind the fire always to reflect heat to me
    made a log fire to have enough warm along my body.

Well, i had too hot ........
    Moreover wind was blowing smokes until my face and unable me to breath. So i turned in the other way, bringing my head outside my natural shelter. By this way i could seen the sky during all the night

I simply drink tea with plants i founded and ate 2-3 chestnuts. Didn't need more for an only night.

Really relaxing before going back to study !

Samuel Hearne
    Sounds like you enjoyed yourself thank you for sharing.

I've had not much luck with wool blankets, then again I'm not always able to have a fire, because most camps for me are stealth.
    It's always a bit humourous when some wild animal startles you out of your mind in the wee hours. It gets eerie with a headtorch on, since the light reflects off their eyes. And sometimes the nightly sounds can be a darn annoyance after awhile. One time I happened to camp directly below a tree stuffed with Barred Owls, unbeknownst to me when I set up just before dusk. At around midnight, all the hooters were hooting, and even with earplugs in, their chatter kept me awake. So, I imitated their calls for a minute, and they stopped immediately LOL.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I like the way you have used the standing stone as part of the shelter you built Jacob. If the weather was very cold and the fire bigger, I imagine that rock would help as a heat reflector onto your bed...

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    So, I imitated their calls for a minute, and they stopped immediately
    Should be an horrible sound you made

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    I like the way you have used the standing stone as part of the shelter you built Jacob. If the weather was very cold and the fire bigger, I imagine that rock would help as a heat reflector onto your bed...
    I took the last picture on the morning, when fire was dying. Of course it was bigger during the night ! I really felt the heat from rocks, for example when the fire decreased a bit, i had hot for a moment again.
    Moreover, as i build the fireplace behind my bed, all the heat which was going up achieved to my body. But smokes did the same, bad luck ...

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a wonderful little escape

Indeed, i need it !